No announcement yet.

Building A Butcher Block Computer Desk To Comfortably Handle Six Monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you have all the skills! This was a really cool post.

Comment

As cool as it is, why on earth would you want to have 6 monitors? I remember cutting down from 2 monitors to 1 because i just wasn't using the 2nd monitor all that much, I now have 2 computers on 1 monitor, and 1 keyboard/mouse setup.

What do you use 6 monitors for?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        As cool as it is, why on earth would you want to have 6 monitors? I remember cutting down from 2 monitors to 1 because i just wasn't using the 2nd monitor all that much, I now have 2 computers on 1 monitor, and 1 keyboard/mouse setup.

What do you use 6 monitors for?
        When I am doing maintenance/debugging of test systems or commonly when testing many different SBCs at once.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Wish I had the time.... Though the new machines like the picobrew and such are interesting and eliminate time and other troubles, but too expensive :/

Thing about the picobrew is that it really won't actually save you time. Cleaning and sanitation is the most time consuming part of home brewing, and thanks to all of those tubing and pumps in the picobrew, it may even need MORE time to prep than a standard 6 gallon bucket and airlock system would.

Though, if you want to save time, I suggest one of these. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...CH4W7V9Q0CBPT7). Since this thing can do primary, secondary, and even transfer bottling or kegging, without requiring transfer to another container, it really cuts down on the time consuming cleaning and sanitation steps. The actually brewing can be quickened by doing malt extract recipes (all grain is messy and slow), and kegging prevents the extremely time consuming bottling process..... cleaning.... all.....of......those.....bottles....fml.
          Last edited by dh04000; 23 March 2016, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            "Building A Butcher Block Computer Desk To Comfortably Handle Six Monitors" - and then complaining not enough people subscribe so that you can run some tests. I don't recall where I heard this (a movie, for certain): never feel sorry for a man that owns a plane
            Last time I looked an unfinished birch countertop was in roughly the same price range as an RC plane (~$200 at Lowes), but I think the quote you are referencing referred to real airplanes. Can you check ?

This seemed like a really useful article, until today I hadn't realized that birch countertops (inexpensive** AND tough) were even available. Not sure I have the patience for 6 coats though, maybe my preference for natural wood finishes is more rooted in laziness than I would like to admit.

** birch has historically been inexpensive in Europe but pricy here in NA, to the point where maple is generally used instead. Maybe butcher block countertops pack well enough in a container that they can be imported without shipping costs killing the deal.
            Last edited by bridgman; 23 March 2016, 01:09 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

It was a bit hard to find the slabs. Home Depot or Lowes didn't carry in stock at store but found a smaller building store that carried them. Pricing not actually that bad at 120$ for 8 foot x 25 inch x 1.5 inch birch slabs.

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Last time I looked an unfinished birch countertop was in roughly the same price range as an RC plane (~$200 at Lowes), but I think the quote you are referencing referred to real airplanes. Can you check ?

This seemed like a really useful article, until today I hadn't realized that birch countertops (inexpensive** AND tough) were even available. Not sure I have the patience for 6 coats though, maybe my preference for natural wood finishes is more rooted in laziness than I would like to admit.

** birch has historically been inexpensive in Europe but pricy here in NA, to the point where maple is generally used instead. Maybe butcher block countertops pack well enough in a container that they can be imported without shipping costs killing the deal.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I love the idea of kitchen cupboards for the base. Just wondering why you wouldn't have used cupboards with drawers instead of cabinets. This is a good idea though and my future desk is probably going to be made this way thanx for the idea.

Comment

Ikea is a good place to get really thick and strong worktops at a good price - the kitchen section.

I wish I could have a basement, unfortunately I live in a low lying area where the water table isn't too far below ground, so I'd end up with a swimming pool instead!

Comment

How do you get your wife to clean your server room? Are there magic words or do you use flowers, candy, presents, kisses, hugs, promises, threats, blackmail, extortion, violence? What?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

It was absolutely about a real plane: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119051/quotes (Anthony Hopkins was the really rich guy in this movie).
                      But I wasn't talking about the birch countertop, I was talking about a guy that has 6 monitors. And a ton of computers to drive them. Tongue in cheek really, it's none of my business how much money he has or how he spends them. We all know he works for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X