Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd surmise, just do this on Linux Tag.

Comment

The hackontest thing, who's honestly going to bring their code to the seminar, and what will happen to the code after? Doesn't it go to Google? What's the point in that?
      Nope the code is given to the project that is participating - bear in mind one of the projects selected for the first hackontest is OpenLierox (a worms clone)

lol @ technical language - I'm sick of writing up my undergraduate thesis - at least allow me to post on the forums without descending into madness

Comment

Hehe, you do know that this is difficult due to how things are split all over the world. Just let me split things into different nations involved (most with some big oceans in between):

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
        Take two linux gaming websites: Phoronix and Linux gamers.
        Phoronix is american where linux-gamers.net is german. Or do you mean some other linux gamers site?

Add Linux Publishers: LGP, Igios and team13
        LGP is from Great Britain, never head of Igios and team13. Do you maybe mean Deck13? They are a german game company and the porting of their games was done by runesoft, a company based in germany.

Nag i.d, Codeweavers and Transgaming
        Okay, those are probably all located in the US.

Kindly request hardware manufacturers: Pandora, gp2x (Gamepark Holdings) and ATI to come along
        *GPH is Korean and they stopped producing the gp2x about two or three month ago.
        * The pandora is basically something like a "community project", that is it is done by several of the heads behind the gp2x community to finally produce a device that works well since GPH was not listening too well to wishes and recommendations. This project is scattered all over the world. This is "high ranking contributors" are located in Europe, the US and probably many other places on the world.
        * Now to get AMD/ATI into the bowl: AMD is located in the US where the ATI headquarters is in Canada.

As you see the whole "scene" is scattered all over the world, so it will be difficult getting people together. Though maybe it is possible to attach something to bigger confs like eg FOSDEM in Brussels (they always have a gaming line, Dave had a Wesnoth talk there this year and Bridgman was there for AMD/ATI, too). Still I think it is very difficult to really get some real attention outside of the core group.

Comment

As you see the whole "scene" is scattered all over the world, so it will be difficult getting people together. Though maybe it is possible to attach something to bigger confs like eg FOSDEM in Brussels
          A panel with icculus, ttimo, bridgman n michael sounds geographically possible...

LGP is from Great Britain, never head of Igios and team13. Do you maybe mean Deck13? They are a german game company and the porting of their games was done by runesoft, a company based in germany.
          Deck13 was who I was thinking of - my bad.

*GPH is Korean and they stopped producing the gp2x about two or three month ago.
          The f200 is no longer in production?- I thought they just reached firmware 4.1.1?
          Last edited by hmmm; 24 August 2008, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Okay, those are probably all located in the US.
            Who do you mean with "all located in the US"? Linux games are not mainly located in the US. That is epic and id are in the US, right, but most of the rest is not. At least of those who currently produce commercial Linux games. most are even spread over many countries.

The f200 is no longer in production?- I thought they just reached firmware 4.1.1?
            Yes, they are not working on it anymore and they are not producing the GP2X F200 anymore either. That is In the next week they want to announce a new device (though with the current record of GPH it is likely to have many childhood problems, just like the early generations of the GP2X. That is the pandora is probably a lot better in those regards, at least I trust in the devs doing some good work.

Comment

Actually guys, I have been pondering something along these lines for a while now. Though I haven't planned on having the time or financing until my other company is sold, plus then with the time it takes to organize a large event, I don't expect a Phoronix conference until 2010 at the earliest. But feel free to fire away with ideas... I am surprised no one brought up the idea of a moderated debate between AMD and NVIDIA and the open-source community
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The firmware's being done by some of the people associated with the Pandora. GPH shuttered their doors back about a year ago now. Pandora's being developed by the UK reseller and a team of people worldwide. Which reminds me...I owe DJWillis a bit of kernel code...

Comment

I am surprised no one brought up the idea of a moderated debate between AMD and NVIDIA and the open-source community
                  I'm waiting to see what nvidia will announce at nvision this week - can someone please grill the linux driver experts there:

LINUX Genius Bar at the exhibition: Spend 1:1 time with NVIDIA’s LINUX driver experts on the exhibition floor
                  from http://www.nvision2008.com/Professionals/

The firmware's being done by some of the people associated with the Pandora. GPH shuttered their doors back about a year ago now. Pandora's being developed by the UK reseller and a team of people worldwide. Which reminds me...I owe DJWillis a bit of kernel code..
                  Just noticed the gp2x uk site has pandora info up - wow
                  Last edited by hmmm; 24 August 2008, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Actually guys, I have been pondering something along these lines for a while now. Though I haven't planned on having the time or financing until my other company is sold, plus then with the time it takes to organize a large event, I don't expect a Phoronix conference until 2010 at the earliest. But feel free to fire away with ideas... I am surprised no one brought up the idea of a moderated debate between AMD and NVIDIA and the open-source community
                    Will there be refreshments at this conference? If so, count me in!

Comment

Checklist:

Take two linux gaming websites: Phoronix and Linux gamers.
                      Add Linux Publishers: LGP, Igios and team13
                      Nag i.d, Codeweavers and Transgaming
                      Kindly request hardware manufacturers: Pandora, gp2x (Gamepark Holdings) and ATI to come along
                      Start with a keynote by icculus (Ryan Gordon)
                      Get Google to sponsor another Hackontest (http://www.hackontest.org/index.php?action=Root-about) specifically focused on games
                      Attach an open day for the public to the event - filled with multiple stalls similar to Linux.conf.au

Anyone else have suggestions?... Sorry about the sms talk earlier - I was typing from an ipod touch and the keyboard is SHOCKING.
                      cool man, what's SMS btw? :P Is that txt msg from cell phones?

Comment

Working...
                      X