X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mordervomubel
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

Huh? I haven't even covered a Linux conference now in close to two years, so no cross-country trips since then.... Haven't even been on a plane in over a year. Nor have I ever spent $1000 on a single piece of hardware, the most ever was on the R9 Fury for $600 since AMD didn't send out a review sample and many Linux users want to know how it performs for obvious reasons.
    Thanks for reading our comments. I'm wondering if you're considering any of the suggestions, or if they don't really interest you. Alternatively, you could lock down your site like New York Times, Walstreet Journal, etc., so that visitors can only read x amount of articles before they need to pay to get in. I just assumed that you would rather have the site be more open rather than closed. (plus, it's easy to delete cookies and keep reading on those locked down sites...)

Note that I am not opposed to you making money from your website. I understand that phoronix is a business, and any profit - whether ads, premium subscriptions, or tips - is earned by the work you do.

However... To be blunt, I don't support whiners. I work anywhere from 40-70 hours per week, with no paid vacations. I write code, admin unix servers, support customers, and deal with corporate BS. The latest is that we all get pay cuts so that the corporation can bump its stock price up a little bit (they make tons of money but whine that they need to cut costs). I don't complain to my company's customers that I just got a non-merit-based pay cut - I consider that to be unprofessional behavior. My dream is to run my own business... I know it doesn't make an instant millionaire, and that it may only bring enough money to get by, etc. But you *have* that. You don't have to put up with the 9-5 BS, or the swing shift BS, or working late nights/early mornings because someone called out sick BS, plus trying to write code, plus supporting customers, plus getting pay cuts so your boss's bosses can get extra bonuses. You make the money you earn, and the better job you do, the more money you make.

My point is, please don't complain to us about money. We have money problems, too, and most of us don't have a hugely supportive community/fanbase to keep us going financially. If you want to trade your business for a day job, please do. Many would happily take your place running linux vs windows benchmarks and leaving their day jobs behind. If you do want to continue with your business, please don't let negativity ruin everything you have. Take a vacation. Either write up a queue of articles for when you're gone, or hire a temp/freelancer, or just write that you'll be out for a while.

Leave a comment:

• kgonzales
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post

That's a slick idea, didn't know you could do that. Moving them out of the articles would make "Premium" nicer too
    I agree, I like that idea as well.

I do wish there was content that was Premium subscriber only. I would pay even more per year for exclusive content.

Leave a comment:

• mordervomubel
    replied
    Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
    I use adblock plus, so if the publicity on this page were not intrusive I would be able to see it. Maybe using non intrusive publicity is the way to go, so people would not be so annoyed about it, and they would be more happy about disabling adblock or using alternatives like adblock plus.
    That's a very good point... If you have adblock plus, and you set it to show tasteful ads, then the fact that ads are blocked is the webmaster's own fault. On firefox, I use ghostery, which blocks all trackers (and ad networks with trackers). On surf, I haven't bothered to set up ad blocking yet. I don't really mind ads if they're not intrusive... but most of the internet (especially news sites, not just phoronix) seem to be pushing me towards ad blockers again.

Leave a comment:

• edoantonioco
    replied
    I use adblock plus, so if the publicity on this page were not intrusive I would be able to see it. Maybe using non intrusive publicity is the way to go, so people would not be so annoyed about it, and they would be more happy about disabling adblock or using alternatives like adblock plus.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix23leech
    replied
    Stop sucking up to some ad network and get a real job instead.

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

+1 (stupid char limit)
    It's stupid to post +1.
    You should use the like button instead.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    I've made various notes about Michael's complaints... they've become less frequent for sure. That said, Michael also apparently has the spare money to make various cross-country trips and buy $1000 hardware out of his pocket like it's nothing, while boasting about it in his articles.
    Huh? I haven't even covered a Linux conference now in close to two years, so no cross-country trips since then.... Haven't even been on a plane in over a year. Nor have I ever spent $1000 on a single piece of hardware, the most ever was on the R9 Fury for $600 since AMD didn't send out a review sample and many Linux users want to know how it performs for obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• tegs
    replied
    The reason that most of us install Adblock or Privacy Badger or NoScript isn't because we want to screw over the site creator. We just value our privacy and don't want the page to take forever when loading. This is especially bad on mobile. When you have ads on a page in the traditional sense, it is loading up a handful of non-free JavaScript that tracks your activity and IP address via direct contact and tracking cookies. These tracking cookies will stay on your system and collect info about you without your consent as you go from site to site. These same cookies could be used against you in the future if legal action is taken. Its just not safe in general.

Since this is mainly a GNU/Linux focused site, it is wise to link this: https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied
    Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    @mordervomubel I have ad blockers off and I see no ads at all and the site is running awesome. It's called premium subscription. Get the premium and stop trying to justify the use of ad-blockers on a site that survives on ads.
    He's not justifying it, he's claiming they're obnoxious. Hell, I use an ad-blocker despite being a premium subscriber because the ads are so obnoxious on the main page, it makes it a pain to login through the forums. It's also painful when you have to do this over a phone or if you forget to click "Remember me" so it create's a cookie the main page recognizes.

I've made various notes about Michael's complaints... they've become less frequent for sure. That said, Michael also apparently has the spare money to make various cross-country trips and buy $1000 hardware out of his pocket like it's nothing, while boasting about it in his articles. I don't really care to hear his crap about ad-blockers, especially when I have paid to remove the need for ads. It's like having advertisements that are still there despite having ad-blocker and paid subscription.

All this to not even note the lack of professionalism this displays, perhaps to the point of driving users away (which is blatant with this forum thread).

Leave a comment:

• Mama Luigi
    replied
    I read the comments about how the ads are terrible, and I thought to myself, "How bad can they be?", so I disabled my adblocker. I'd never seen Phoronix without ads, and now, I never will again unless things get resolved. Seriously, popup ads? Banners everywhere? Heck, even ads within the comments! It's terrible.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X