• Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Reorganise yourself Michael . You can bench let say:

Low End hardware 720p gaming.

Mid 1080P gaming.

High End @ 4K

Or something like that, but made it separate becuase audience is different and you will get more clicks and tips possibly. Really, no one want to see how something is slow (if you just want to produce trolls that is the way ), but how something is usable for the task, etc...

And be nice
    Last edited by dungeon; 06 November 2015, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• unixfan2001
    replied
    Originally posted by liamdawe View Post
    With the above about the adverts + articles like this to bait me into reading it expecting content, but there is none. Just talk about future stuff to come, and more asking for money.

That doesn't make me want to support anything.

Michael should take a page from your handbook. Your site (Gaming on Linux) has never made me think that its owner is merely in it for the money. Can't say the same about Phoronix. Particularly after all those late headlines which remind me of populist gutter rags like the Daily Mail or Breitbart (and, in some cases, even cite the latter).

Those articles are also poorly written and filled to the brim with bad grammar and typos, as if Michael just doesn't care and is merely hoping to generate as many clicks as humanly possible.

Leave a comment:

• liamdawe
    replied
    With the above about the adverts + articles like this to bait me into reading it expecting content, but there is none. Just talk about future stuff to come, and more asking for money.

That doesn't make me want to support anything.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by mordervomubel View Post
    2. You could set "guilt-trip" messages in place of the ads when ad-blockers are used. This way, people who support your site by viewing the ads won't see the ad blocker complaints as they do when you put them as part of your articles.
    +1 (stupid char limit)

Leave a comment:

• wargames
    replied
    Hi Michael,

How does it feel to use the spyware operating system (aka Windows 10)?

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    @mordervomubel I have ad blockers off and I see no ads at all and the site is running awesome. It's called premium subscription. Get the premium and stop trying to justify the use of ad-blockers on a site that survives on ads.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by mordervomubel View Post
    2. You could set "guilt-trip" messages in place of the ads when ad-blockers are used. This way, people who support your site by viewing the ads won't see the ad blocker complaints as they do when you put them as part of your articles.
    That's a slick idea, didn't know you could do that. Moving them out of the articles would make "Premium" nicer too

Leave a comment:

• profoundWHALE
    replied
    I never get those even when I'm not logged in. O.o

Leave a comment:

• mordervomubel
    replied
    Oh, a good example... As I was typing my comment, someone else wrote something first. I can't really see his name, though, because of yet another obtrusive ad. Here's what I see (linked png image)
    Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Leave a comment:

• mordervomubel
    replied
    Honestly, it's very annoying to see you complain about ad blockers at the bottom of nearly every news post, especially when I visit your site with ad blockers off.

Please stop trying to guilt trip us on the ad-blockers. I have all ad blockers off right now as I'm reading your site. On this comment page alone, there are 3 javascript ads. I have 3 phoronix windows open. Viewing these ads takes about 90% of one core of my Intel i7 920 cpu, and a large chunk out of the other cores. Many of your ads are animated and very distracting. Some of your ads autoplay videos! I just had some cisco cloud offering video pop up over your article while I was trying to read it. I "closed" the popup, only to have it popup and autoplay the video again even before I finished reading the first screen of the article.

Here's a copy+paste of the top command with me running 3 windows of your site at the same time. Note that cpu usage fluctuates depending on which obtrusive ads are on that particular page. surf is the web browser I'm using. It goes between about 30% to 100% on the main core as I browse articles.

Tasks: 199 total, 2 running, 197 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    %Cpu0 : 60.3/24.5 85[|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ]
    %Cpu1 : 5.3/2.0 7[||||||| ]
    %Cpu2 : 5.9/1.3 7[||||||| ]
    %Cpu3 : 7.9/3.3 11[||||||||||| ]
    %Cpu4 : 0.7/0.0 1[| ]
    %Cpu5 : 12.7/4.7 17[|||||||||||||||||| ]
    %Cpu6 : 7.3/2.7 10[|||||||||| ]
    %Cpu7 : 2.6/2.0 5[||||| ]
    GiB Mem : 16.3/8.777 [ ]
    GiB Swap: 0.0/0.000 [ ]

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES %CPU %MEM TIME+ S COMMAND
    720 root 20 0 246.1m 104.3m 86.1 1.2 12:22.55 R Xorg
    2180 me 20 0 4264.3m 465.0m 27.8 5.2 0:44.18 S surf
    1308 me 20 0 3488.4m 309.9m 14.6 3.4 1:28.01 S surf
    28533 me 20 0 4235.4m 392.5m 7.9 4.4 4:14.68 S surf
    1227 me 25 5 55.4m 7.0m 4.0 0.1 0:48.87 S xscreensaver

I can barely scroll the page in the browser, there's so much javascript junk running. This annoyance combined with reading your dislike of ad blockers on several articles usually convinces me to leave your site. I did find that disabling javascript makes your site usable. It also removes every ad. I wouldn't really call that an ad-blocker, though.

That said, I wouldn't be writing this just to flame you. When I see your comments about ad blockers ruining your economic situation, I see that as a request for help. I am not an exellent web designer or businessman, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

1. Try setting up the ads to be less intrusive/cpu intensive/disruptive. If they're not taking 100% of my cpu, flashing wildly and driving my attention away from the article, I'm more likely to view your site without an ad blocker. As it is, I bet you're driving ad blocker usage up, as your site is more ad-abusive than many others.

3. Maybe try affiliate links. You don't have to go out of your way, but if you're talking about certain products, you could link to them on a site that gives you a commission. As long as you're honest about it, I don't think there's anything wrong with getting commissions. Remember that we want your site to succeed, and an amazon link won't cost us extra if we want to buy something anyway.

Anyway, that's it. I wouldn't bother typing anything except that you do good work, and you take linux benchmarks very seriously. Any other site, I'd just turn the ad-blocker on or leave.

I hope that helps. Keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X