A Six Month Redux After Building A 60+ System Basement Server/Computer Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
    Whatever this is best server room I ever seen. As for power consumption... I guess systems which are not in use could be configured for deep powersaving? E.g. spin down HDDs, put monitor on standby, etc (at least AMD GPUs can seriously reduce power consumption when monitor goes into powersaving mode). Or even complete power down with something like wake-on-lan? Though cycling main power supply increases risk of failures.
    As mentioned in article, PTS + Phoromatic completely powers on/off systems when needed.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GDJacobs View Post
      Hmm... any love for Bohemian beer?

It would be nice if your utility company gave you a deal for off-peak power usage. Phoromatic sounds smart enough to preferentially spin up systems for testing at night.
      The few Bohemian beers I've tried I have liked.

Phoromatic could easily handle that, but good luck getting a deal from the utility company... Just read in the newspaper a few days ago they plan to do a 11% rate hike in 2016...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I support the idea of setting up a kickstsrter/indiegogo campaign to raise money for you solar panels, the same way that a developer raised money to develop a mesa feature

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

As mentioned in article, PTS + Phoromatic completely powers on/off systems when needed.
          Wow, just wow! It's almost beyound wildest imaginations!

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
            I support the idea of setting up a kickstsrter/indiegogo campaign to raise money for you solar panels
            I second this.

Also, as you're a hacking/builder type, maybe you can partially build the solar panel out of individual cells (like these) that you solder together in a chain yourself, and then laminate (plenty of youtube DIY guides).
            Slower, but cheaper than buying big pannels. And you can spread the cost (buy a bunch of cells now and then, when you have some money and find cheap offers online).

Comment

server room plus bar
              I know SystemCrasher already praised its many triumphs, but did anyone else get those little hairs standing up on the back of their neck when reading those words?

I know it's just old-school paranoia, but I can't get past the "these two things do not go together" reaction that's telling me that this is about the least compatible combination of unlike elements since somebody got their chocolate in someone else's cod liver oil.

Still, it looks awesome! Just don't spill the booze.

Comment

Working...
              X