A Six Month Redux After Building A 60+ System Basement Server/Computer Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Six Month Redux After Building A 60+ System Basement Server/Computer Room

Phoronix: A Six Month Redux After Building A 60+ System Basement Server/Computer Room

It's been just over six months since I completed construction on the large 60+ system server room where a ton of Linux benchmarking takes place just not for Phoronix.com but also the new LinuxBenchmarking.com daily performance tracking initiative and testing and development around our Phoronix Test Suite, Phoromatic, and OpenBenchmarking.org software. Here's a look back, a few recommendations to reiterate for those aspiring to turn their cellar into a server farm, and a few things I'd do differently next time around.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congrats on your work on that room!
    It's really great. I'm just curious to know if all those tests are really worth it tho. Are they mainly regression search on large projects as kernel, mesa etc?
    Or you use the server farm also for the usual benchmarks of your articles?
    I hope you find a profitable business point, to be able to face all those electricity expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
      Congrats on your work on that room!
      It's really great. I'm just curious to know if all those tests are really worth it tho. Are they mainly regression search on large projects as kernel, mesa etc?
      Or you use the server farm also for the usual benchmarks of your articles?
      I hope you find a profitable business point, to be able to face all those electricity expenses.
      On LinuxBenchmarking.com it tracks the kernel/Mesa/etc.

It's also used for Phoronix.com article tests too when needing a system for whatever testing, can still schedule one-off testing, custom context management, etc, via Phoromatic.

It is useful for PTS/Phoromatic development as have been able to track down bugs/bottlenecks and other areas for improvement when doing real-world widescale testing so that paying clients running PTS on thousands of systems don't run into problems, etc.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Michael I would think dropping the projector for a normal monitor would help to reduce some heat, is it left on all the time? Every bit helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Octus View Post
          Michael I would think dropping the projector for a normal monitor would help to reduce some heat, is it left on all the time? Every bit helps.
          The projector is only used like ~3 hours a month. Most of the time it's monitors unless I'm doing a bunch of maintenance/checks on systems.
          Michael Larabel

Comment

I can't believe that it has already been 6 months. Good stuff, sir.

Comment

What do you use for configuration management? Like getting base system up with all the required users.

Comment

Hmm... any love for Bohemian beer?

It would be nice if your utility company gave you a deal for off-peak power usage. Phoromatic sounds smart enough to preferentially spin up systems for testing at night.

Comment

server room plus bar
                  Whatever this is best server room I ever seen. As for power consumption... I guess systems which are not in use could be configured for deep powersaving? E.g. spin down HDDs, put monitor on standby, etc (at least AMD GPUs can seriously reduce power consumption when monitor goes into powersaving mode). Or even complete power down with something like wake-on-lan? Though cycling main power supply increases risk of failures.

Comment

Originally posted by budric View Post
                    What do you use for configuration management? Like getting base system up with all the required users.
                    Just bare distro install of whatever distro I want to test with, install PTS, then activate the Phoromatic systemd client.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                    X