Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Linux Benchmarking Power Use Still Around 3,000 kWh A Month

Phoronix: Our Linux Benchmarking Power Use Still Around 3,000 kWh A Month

Besides getting a number of stitches to my foot this weekend in the hospital, equally as painful was receiving the latest electric bill for our mass open-source / Linux benchmarking efforts. The power use over the past month was the second highest electrical use of the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can smell BEGGING for money.

Comment

Anyway to install solar? You would never have to sell energy back to the electric company.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
        Anyway to install solar? You would never have to sell energy back to the electric company.
        Not really economical when it would be at least 10~20k USD upfront cost to install it. Some of that would be subsidized by the government, but still very high upfront cost I don't have for it.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I guess the positive of this is that you probably won't spend much on heat this winter. Do ad clicks generate more revenue, or does simply not blocking them make the difference? I usually visit by mobile, so usually there's no adblocking here.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyPaw View Post
            I guess the positive of this is that you probably won't spend much on heat this winter. Do ad clicks generate more revenue, or does simply not blocking them make the difference? I usually visit by mobile, so usually there's no adblocking here.
            Paid by impression, not by click or action.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Not really economical when it would be at least 10~20k USD upfront cost to install it. (..) but still very high upfront cost I don't have for it.
              I support the ideia of a kickstarter/indiegogo campaign to install solar energy on your house

Comment

Time to sell hats then? this forums needs more hats!

Comment

Michael, if you're not earning enough you have to change business. Offer your website as a paying service, something like 9.99$ a year.
                  Do a survey asking this to see how many people are willing to pay. Results can be keeped private.

Otherwise you must stop with this begging, its not working.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    Michael, if you're not earning enough you have to change business. Offer your website as a paying service, something like 9.99$ a year.
                    Do a survey asking this to see how many people are willing to pay. Results can be keeped private.

Otherwise you must stop with this begging, its not working.
                    I signed up as a premium member years ago due to the "begging". The value proposition was good for me. Plus I get to be all smug about it :P

Also - maybe he should start paywalling some of the articles, *just* before the good bit. Or youtube style, make you view an advert for 10 seconds before getting to the content or or or any number of REALLY annoying practises. Because, you know, that would be AWESOME.

-or- he can ask regular visitors can pony up a rather small amount of money (vs time spent on the site). you get to be all smug and you do not see adverts!
                    Last edited by boxie; 13 September 2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X