Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Company of Heroes 2 Linux Test Profile

Phoronix: A Company of Heroes 2 Linux Test Profile

This week marked the launch of Company of Heroes 2 for Linux and this game is benchmark-friendly!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Test it on Titan X on all but particulary on lowest settings, so we can see what is max possibile.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      Test it on Titan X on all but particulary on lowest settings, so we can see what is max possibile.
      First need to figure out why the CLI version of the game performs differently than when launched via the in-game menus.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

First need to figure out why the CLI version of the game performs differently than when launched via the in-game menus.
        Remove fixedframerate from coh2 shell script.
        In HKEY_CURRENT_USER, width and height are switched.
        Texture Detail value range from 0 "Higher" to 3 "Low". "Higher" request 2.2 GiB of Vram.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin76 View Post

Remove fixedframerate from coh2 shell script.
          In HKEY_CURRENT_USER, width and height are switched.
          Texture Detail value range from 0 "Higher" to 3 "Low". "Higher" request 2.2 GiB of Vram.

The fixedframerate is just one of the options currently playing around with for trying to figure out the issue. "The fixed framerate option allows for slightly more consistent benchmarking by doing the same work regardless of framerate"
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Here's what the game looks like on my machine :

Arch Linux with KDE desktopMesa 10.6.5-1Specs :i5 750 (1st gen i5 Nahalem CPU)7970 1GHz edition (equivalent to a 280x I think)8gb ramIt took a number of atte...

This is on a 7970 1GHz edition using the open source RadeonSI driver. I've never played the game on Windows, so I don't know what it looks like normally, but there appears to be graphical issues with the wood planks of the pier, and also on the canopy/roof of the ships. Otherwise, everything looks to be rendering correctly to my eyes.

Performance is dire as expected. Once gameplay starts, the FPS stays mostly around 10 fps, with fluctuations of around +/- 5 fps.

This is on a fully updated Arch system, no git repos, so stock mesa which is currently at version 10.6.5-1 on Arch. CPU is a first gen i5 (750). The game seems to be well threaded, it's taxing all four cores according the Gallium3D HUD.

edit: Oh, and it caused my machine to crash hard, it locked up, buzzed for about 10 seconds, then fully shut down.. It took about 6 attempts to capture the footage. I'd speculate that that's because the game is trying to use OpenGL features that the radeon driver doens't have? Though I'm no expert.
            Last edited by kaprikawn; 30 August 2015, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

Arch Linux with KDE desktopMesa 10.6.5-1Specs :i5 750 (1st gen i5 Nahalem CPU)7970 1GHz edition (equivalent to a 280x I think)8gb ramIt took a number of atte...

This is on a 7970 1GHz edition using the open source RadeonSI driver. I've never played the game on Windows, so I don't know what it looks like normally, but there appears to be graphical issues with the wood planks of the pier, and also on the canopy/roof of the ships. Otherwise, everything looks to be rendering correctly to my eyes.

Performance is dire as expected. Once gameplay starts, the FPS stays mostly around 10 fps, with fluctuations of around +/- 5 fps.

This is on a fully updated Arch system, no git repos, so stock mesa which is currently at version 10.6.5-1 on Arch. CPU is a first gen i5 (750). The game seems to be well threaded, it's taxing all four cores according the Gallium3D HUD.

edit: Oh, and it caused my machine to crash hard, it locked up, buzzed for about 10 seconds, then fully shut down.. It took about 6 attempts to capture the footage. I'd speculate that that's because the game is trying to use OpenGL features that the radeon driver doens't have? Though I'm no expert.
              Was it an electric buzz like a coil, or like a sound stuck in a loop through a speaker buzz??

EDIT: Most likely they didn't bother testing it on the OSS drivers and rely on incorrect behavior that only nvidia's driver exposes. Which if true is entirely their own fault.
              Last edited by duby229; 30 August 2015, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Was it an electric buzz like a coil, or like a sound stuck in a loop through a speaker buzz??
                It was a speaker tone. I don't think it happened every time, but it did lock up every time, wait for a bit and then shut down the machine entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post

Here is my test
                  http://gearsongallium.com - openSUSE base livecd with lates opensource video drivers with gallium-nine supportRadeon hd 7970intel i5 3330openSUSE Factory

i5 3330+hd7970

Comment

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post

Here is my test
                    http://gearsongallium.com - openSUSE base livecd with lates opensource video drivers with gallium-nine supportRadeon hd 7970intel i5 3330openSUSE Factory

i5 3330+hd7970
                    You seem to be getting better performance than me. Though I notice you went into the options, I didn't, mine was with whatever settings it launches with. Also mine was in-game, you went in the benchmark, don't know how different they are.

Have you had any crashes? Can you even play the game if you wanted to?

Comment

Working...
                    X