Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS:GO & TF2 Benchmarks Updated For Linux

Phoronix: CS:GO & TF2 Benchmarks Updated For Linux

With yesterday's review of the GeForce GTX 950 on Linux you may have noticed the Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive tests weren't present, even though they're among the most popular Linux games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just the latest example of why I don't like benchmarking with Steam -- at least until they allow an option for fetching some previous revision of a game

According to Valve you're not prohibited from backing up your Steam games and using these backups later without updating to the latest version.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

According to Valve you're not prohibited from backing up your Steam games and using these backups later without updating to the latest version.
      Still wouldn't work out.... What about anyone else in the world who wishes to reproduce/challenge my results, etc? Or AMD/NVIDIA looking into a regression I've reported? If these "personal backups" are redistributable, still not much better considering when it comes to independent users I doubt they're going to want to download however many GB for a full extra copy of a game just to run some tests, especially if they already have a copy downloaded.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

How many times have you used old results in your articles?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          If these "personal backups" are redistributable, still not much better considering when it comes to independent users I doubt they're going to want to download however many GB for a full extra copy of a game just to run some tests, especially if they already have a copy downloaded.
          Isn't that equally true, though, if Valve were to allow you to install certain revisions? It sounds like you are advocating that they simply stop updating the games at all, which might be nice for you but not for most actual gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Isn't that equally true, though, if Valve were to allow you to install certain revisions? It sounds like you are advocating that they simply stop updating the games at all, which might be nice for you but not for most actual gamers.
            Assumingly their revision control system relies on some sort of deltas but each time the game is changed doesn't redownload the entire game archive. I'm not suggesting they don't update games, just that would be nice if there was an option to retrieve an earlier version/milestone/whatever-you-want-to-call-it of a game to be able to keep it consistent for comparable purposes.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
            X