Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Windows 10 vs. Linux Benchmarks Would You Like To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael,
    If you have time could you check if the Windows 7 chkdsk memory leak is still there
    http://superuser.com/questions/32816...g-90-of-my-ram
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...sk-memory-leak
    http://betanews.com/2009/08/05/teste...s-7-rtm-build/

I'm running windows 7 SP1 fully updated and the bug is still here after all these years

I'm curious if this is solved in Windows 10, or is the same kernel with a newer interface

Comment

CPU multithreading and disk I/O. Those are where linux doesn't seem to shine too much. Also RAM usage/access optimization and speed.

Comment

-Transfer rates and disk read / write performance
        -Application startup times
        -Linux openGL vs Windows openGL performance
        -Linux openGL vs Windows DirectX performance. Using real games. Separately for Nvidia and AMD. Proprietary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          Also RAM usage/access optimization and speed.
          I think the problem is low RAM usage doesn't indicate good optimization. A lot of people are too obsessed with it.
          Windows will cache a lot of non-critical stuff into RAM but that doesn't mean it's heavy. It will unload that stuff if another application requires the RAM.

Comment

- Installation time (with updates and software installation) and Boot time.
            - Video/audio playback CPU/GPU usage and power consumption.
            - Something like a browser benchmark: sunspider, octane and the other famous tests.
            - USB, SATA speed.
            - Compression/decompression benchmarks.
            - Handbrake video conversion.
            - Steam multiplatform games, if you'll run nVidia card.
            - Beer vs Wine

Comment

Given what you've said in the article, I think this is already going to be covered. But I'm interested to see R600/RadeonSI vs Catalyst on Windows. My preference would be to use Arch Linux for the comparison, but I'll be happy to see any distribution but with the latest kernel and mesa installed.

Comment

Some FPS comparisons like X-Plane on W10 / Ubuntu / OSX.
                Thanks

Comment

Use an updated Arch. Performance per Watt would be interesting. OGL4 gaming with demanding games like Metro (if it will work at that time, with the OS drivers). Wine gaming, compared to native gaming.

Comment

Some basic disk benchmarking to compare NTFS natively with Linux ext4 and xfs.

Also some network file share benchmarking, using as both client and server.

I'd like to see how video encoding with standard codecs, e.g. using the native version of windows mencoder vs linux. I suspect it should be fairly similar if the disk performance is similar given it should be CPU bound unless there are performance gains from using the GPU, in which case things could be very different according to the feature set of the drivers.

Comment

Some disk/network I/O tests would be interesting IMHO.
                      Not sure whether you have a cross platform compilation test (Java?) , which would be some mix of I/O and CPU.

Comment

Working...
                      X