Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premium Users Now Can Experience Our New Site

Phoronix: Premium Users Now Can Experience Our New Site

For Phoronix Premium visitors accessing our website today, you're now the first with access to the brand new Phoronix.com web design that's been almost entirely redesigned from scratch and supports a converged desktop/tablet/smartphone experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The old website makes better use of the screen. The new layout seems much more squished. Margins on the old site are around 2cm, where new one has around 6cm.
    Rob
    email: [email protected]

Comment

I agree with the previous poster, the site is a bit narrow. I'm using an 40" 4K screen (3840x2160) and the site just takes up like a tenth of the page... But it's a bit hard to adjust to these screens it seems.
      This is how it looks (scaled down to 25% of the original size):

Comment

Well, at least it looks better now on iPad. I.e. I mean that since some time ago (about two months) old layout had been changed in a way so it became painful experience to read phoronix on iPad. Now that's fixed.

What I miss a lot is a function that had been lost since some phoronix changes about a year ago - plain linear news archive. Nowdays news archive is always split up by categories so it is a painful experience to fetch up all news for a some defined period in the past. Let's say I've been offline for a two weeks and now I want to check out all news that had been posted on phoronix during my vacation. The way I expect this to be handled is to browse to a news archive page and have there a linear list of article titles sorted in reverse posting datetime order. The way it is now is to open up each and every category, rinse, repeat. It's cumbersome at best and it definitely not a way to provide user with a good site browsing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by dagger View Post
          The old website makes better use of the screen. The new layout seems much more squished. Margins on the old site are around 2cm, where new one has around 6cm.
          Will ask Jorge the designer to see about tweaks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lexa2 View Post
            Well, at least it looks better now on iPad. I.e. I mean that since some time ago (about two months) old layout had been changed in a way so it became painful experience to read phoronix on iPad. Now that's fixed.

What I miss a lot is a function that had been lost since some phoronix changes about a year ago - plain linear news archive. Nowdays news archive is always split up by categories so it is a painful experience to fetch up all news for a some defined period in the past. Let's say I've been offline for a two weeks and now I want to check out all news that had been posted on phoronix during my vacation. The way I expect this to be handled is to browse to a news archive page and have there a linear list of article titles sorted in reverse posting datetime order. The way it is now is to open up each and every category, rinse, repeat. It's cumbersome at best and it definitely not a way to provide user with a good site browsing experience.
            I should be able to easily add back a monthly view list on one of the pages. If you don't see it, then remind me in a few days.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I should be able to easily add back a monthly view list on one of the pages. If you don't see it, then remind me in a few days.
              Thanks, looking forward for it.

Comment

While I'm not premium subscriber, these new screens do not look "exciting" at all. Because ... because do you honestly think it is "exciting" when web site barely uses some 50% of quite small screen. I can imagine it would use just about 25% of screen width on my desktop. That's not what I would call "exciting" for sure - I would rather call it awful and dumb design with poor usability. No, I'm fine if web site looking good on smartphones and tablets. Yet it sucks really hard when web site uses only 25% of my PC's monitor...

Comment

I notice that from some time this forum have a place-holder for member AVATAR , however, in the settings the only reference to AVATAR is a option that says "SHOW AVATAR" but i can't find a place where we can select or upload a AVATAR...

What is the situation about this issue ?
                  TIA,
                  ?JSB

Comment

Just tested it in a normal browser (1080p at 50inches TV) and on a Nexus 7 and I have to say I like what I'm seeing. Looks very modern and spiffy.

Comment

Working...
                    X