Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping Dust Out & The Air Clean In The 57 System Home Server Room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Keeping Dust Out & The Air Clean In The 57 System Home Server Room

    Phoronix: Keeping Dust Out & The Air Clean In The 57 System Home Server Room

    In trying to reduce the amount of dust, pet dander, etc, in the basement server room, here's the air purifier and ionizers I've been using for reducing the elements to clean in the big home Linux server room...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ver-Room-Clean

  • #2
    Some sales men came to my home once a showed me this thing: http://www.luxinternational.com/prod...lux_aeroguard/

    Is there any real difference between that and the ones Michael posted aside from the price? Thinking about getting something for the dust too in my home but cannot decide on the product.

    Comment


    • #3
      That one on the link doesn't seem to have the UV thingy, but it looks nice for a mini home unit.

      EDIT: The best thing about air purifiers is that if it can keep up, you won't have to keep wiping slaughtered dust bunnies from the every fan blade. (I think it's called aerodynamic deflection or something like that)
      Last edited by duby229; 06-21-2015, 03:40 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        EDIT: The best thing about air purifiers is that if it can keep up, you won't have to keep wiping slaughtered dust bunnies from the every fan blade. (I think it's called aerodynamic deflection or something like that)
        Yep, we'll see in few months how well it really works, but so far my wife is nothing but raving about it. Even the smell in the front office where the other one is she says smells like "fresh mountain air."
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Try this one - it's US made and comes w/a lifetime warranty. Right up there with the best, bluair, iqair,etc - http://www.alencorp.com/collections/...d-dust-removal

          Comment


          • #6
            Computers do not generate dust. Humans and furniture do.
            Removing yourself, rugs sofas etc will minimize dust in your "server" room.

            Ionizers create an excess of ozone. Not something you should breathe for any long periods of time.
            Ozone and all the freshly brominated electronics you unpack all the time is going to lead to lung cancer sooner or later.

            I would remove all ionizers, create a healthy air exchange with outdoor air and filter it with HEPA:s. Nothing more.

            Outdoor air already has a natural contents of negative ions.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
              Computers do not generate dust. Humans and furniture do.
              Removing yourself, rugs sofas etc will minimize dust in your "server" room.

              Ionizers create an excess of ozone. Not something you should breathe for any long periods of time.
              Ozone and all the freshly brominated electronics you unpack all the time is going to lead to lung cancer sooner or later.

              I would remove all ionizers, create a healthy air exchange with outdoor air and filter it with HEPA:s. Nothing more.

              Outdoor air already has a natural contents of negative ions.
              I keep my presence in the server room minimal. There's no real rugs/sofas/etc sans a leather seating area.

              Not too concerned about an excess of ozone causing lung cancer as prior to that would more likely die from a heart attack / over working / anything along those lines from doing 100+ hour work weeks.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Michael View Post

                I keep my presence in the server room minimal. There's no real rugs/sofas/etc sans a leather seating area.

                Not too concerned about an excess of ozone causing lung cancer as prior to that would more likely die from a heart attack / over working / anything along those lines from doing 100+ hour work weeks.
                You said you put them in your front office as well. And they might also degrade electronics over time. You need a electrostatic air cleaner for the whole house. 

                Comment


                • #9
                  My poor man way of keeping dust out of a case was getting a car air filter with an industrial fan sucking through it and blowing into the case. One of my crazy ideas to help a regular desktop computer to survive out in a shop.
                  Keeping a rack in its own small room helps make it easier to manage dust too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
                    You said you put them in your front office as well. And they might also degrade electronics over time. You need a electrostatic air cleaner for the whole house.Â*
                    I wanted an air cleaner for the whole house but when replacing the furnace/AC they weren't able to install the air cleaner due to not enough space between the duct and the obstructions next to the other equipment.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X