Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Power Usage Of A 50+ Linux System Benchmarking Farm

Phoronix: The Power Usage Of A 50+ Linux System Benchmarking Farm

The power use of our open-source, Linux benchmarking test farm is on the rise, especially over the summer months...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What do you do with these systems? Do you have your cluster running all the day? If so, do you, at least, have the most energy-inefficient systems running under the "conservative" CPU governor?

Comment

Would it make sense to push your systems in a crippled state when you're tyrying to make them run as fast as possible for the benchmarks? Unless of course other machines are there purely for simple, mundane operations in which case, they're likely not chewing power anyway.

If he's pushing his systems hard, they're gonna chew power. If it gets hot, that power consumption goes up from air-con and cooling. It's pretty simple.
      Hi

Comment

Got you 10 euro for your bill. Hope more paypal tips will follow. You are the linux-gaming-news hero these days.

Comment

Be careful, the police does sometimes match these power increases to people growing stuff they shouldn't indoors

Comment

At least power is cheap for you. :-)

We use 3000kWh per year (i.e. ~250kWh per month), and the bill is like 70€ each month. 100% renewable energy (at least on paper) though. It's 10€ fixed cost per month and then 0.24€ for each kWh.

Are your benchmark machines running 24/7? If not, maybe a combination of scripted shutdown after the daily benchmark routine is done and wake-on-LAN could reduce that power usage by a lot.
            Last edited by Isedonde; 12 June 2015, 07:04 AM. Reason: decimal point instead of decimal comma

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
              You are the linux-gaming-news hero these days.
              If you want Linux Gaming news, I suggest you look at gamingonlinux.com.

Comment

Just subscribed. Thanks for your work and free software coverage through all those years. I hope it continues

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post

If you want Linux Gaming news, I suggest you look at gamingonlinux.com.
                  sure, I already read that site too

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                    What do you do with these systems? Do you have your cluster running all the day? If so, do you, at least, have the most energy-inefficient systems running under the "conservative" CPU governor?
                    For the systems that support WoL properly (a dozen+ don't), Phoromatic will power them off/on automatically whenever testing does/doesn't need to happen.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X