No announcement yet.

Welcoming The 2015 Phoronix Summer Intern

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see posts related to new devices. Here some interesting posts that that should be nice:

- NVIDIA SLI in Linux (It works? It's easy to configure? How about the performance?)
    - Quality of Audio Cards on Linux compared with Windows: Asus Xonar Essence STX, etc..
    - Status of closed protocols of some hardware: Corsair Link, razer, etc.. (There is an official linux support? If NOT, there is an alternative? It works? It's easy to get working?)
    - USB HDTV receivers: ISDB-T, DVB-T, etc..
    - USB Video Capture: DC60, etc..
    - USB Wireless WiFi: AWUS036AC, etc..
    - USB Bluetooth
    - Apple Magic Trackpad and OSX gesture on Linux
    - USB GPS device: Example_1, etc
    - Multimeter USB-PC connection: UT61E (review), etc..
    - How it's the actual Blu-Ray support on Linux? (considering the menus too)

Comment

A belated welcome.

I am not particularly interested in games, but I am interested in data visualisation tools which can be quite graphically intensive, both for real-time and post-processing.

I am thinking of things which analyse network logs, server performance/resource usage, current network load, web server access logs.

I hope you enjoy your time
      regards
      Paul
      linux addict, got the scars, the grey beard and the t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by seijikun View Post
        Awesome! Content doesn't matter for me as well.
        But one thing I definitely would love to see is a review about the current state of VPN's on Linux. The only experience I made so far (L2TP over IPSEC) was lousy. So if this is not too much off-topic or aside your expertise, that would be cool.

Every VPN that supports OpenVPN will work flawlessly on Linux. Fedora and openSUSE both have native integration for OpenVPN. Ubuntu doesn't come with the module but it can very easily be installed with the below command and it will then integrate just as well as if native. I don't know about Fedora but when it comes to Ubuntu it integrates slightly better than openSUSE as Ubuntu it integrates perfect into the notifications to notify you upon connection and disconnections.
        To install the GUI for OpenVPN for install OpenVPN

sudo apt-get install openvpn Then install the network-manager plugins

sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn Now you'll need to restart network-manager so that it works with OpenVPN.

sudo service network-manager restart Although you probably don't need to know this as it's already installed in openSUSE it's reffered to as NetworkManager as opposed to network-manager in Ubuntu.
        Network manager will take care of DNS leak for you so you are all good without needing any extra steps. You will easily be able to switch between VPNs in the system tray just as easily as you would switch WiFi. It's in the same drop down.

While there is no custom vpn client available for Linux users, the setup guide available on the PureVPN website provides detailed instructions to configure PureVPN on Linux.

PureVPN Review 2015 - Read about the best VPN package with unparallaled compatibility, top-tier VPN network and the best prices, in this PureVPN review

Comment

Originally posted by seijikun View Post
          Awesome! Content doesn't matter for me as well.
          But one thing I definitely would love to see is a review about the current state of VPN's on Linux. The only experience I made so far (L2TP over IPSEC) was lousy. So if this is not too much off-topic or aside your expertise, that would be cool.

While there is no custom client available for vpn on Linux, the setup guide available on the PureVPN website provides detailed instructions to configure PureVPN on Linux.
          http://www.purevpnreview.com

Comment

Working...
          X