Welcoming The 2015 Phoronix Summer Intern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Wrt this initial post, "strength" is not verb. Strengthen perhaps?
    Dang someone beet me too it! That was a classic Eric - the epitome of irony: " I am trying to strength my writing skills".

But seriosly, You will likely be a welcome addition to the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
      Always thought a structured series of articles interviewing Intel, AMD, and Nouveau about their current focus with the drivers and where they think they will be in a years time would be interesting. Also interviewing some game engine developers on working with the different drivers and a wishlist.
      Welcome and I want to second that. Interviews might be a nice addition. Ask them about planned directions or just things they encounter during driver development or even their favourite pizza.
      And maybe have more readable benchmark results. No tiny tiny fonts, unreadable mess of lines and scrollbars even though there is more than enough space (at least on my screens).
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I've got a few steam gift games and I'd be willing to part with one for nothing in return. If you'd like to review one of the following send me a PM (hopefully Phoronix will email me if I get a PM?):
        Worms: Reloaded
        Torchlight II
        Monaco
        Foul Play
        Sanctum 2
        Borderlands 2

Also I third what madjr and krach said - articles about the state of Linux on mobile would be great, although that might be difficult without access to said mobile devices

Comment

How about reviews of open source router software. Compare Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, compare speeds to native software. Setup VPN end points on them compare throughput, etc. I haven't looked at OpenWRT in a while, but a couple of reviews and walkthroughs of different setups/package choices.

Also, welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by krach View Post
            Hi Eric, looking forward to your articles!

I'd love to see articles about the state of Linux on mobile. We have Jolla, Firefox and now also Ubuntu.

I realize that might not fit well with you being away from the office, but maybe sample devices could be acquired somehow from them or their hardware partners?!

Edit: Oh and an up to date view on the state of Wayland (and maybe Mir) would also be interesting to me.
            I've got a Nexus 6, don't mind flashing a ROM on it to play around, if any of the images support the N6. Otherwise yeah I'd need hardware, perfectly open to doing that though!
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneZ View Post
              How about reviews of open source router software. Compare Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT, compare speeds to native software. Setup VPN end points on them compare throughput, etc. I haven't looked at OpenWRT in a while, but a couple of reviews and walkthroughs of different setups/package choices.

Also, welcome.
              Originally posted by OctaneZ View Post

Also, welcome.
              Only problem with that is I am on a college internet, so network is kiiiind of locked down. That being said, it is something I'd love to do if given an opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post

Welcome and I want to second that. Interviews might be a nice addition. Ask them about planned directions or just things they encounter during driver development or even their favourite pizza.
                And maybe have more readable benchmark results. No tiny tiny fonts, unreadable mess of lines and scrollbars even though there is more than enough space (at least on my screens).
                Interviews are something I'd enjoy doing, so definitely.

What screen resolution are you on? Articles look fine on my screen and I've got a 15inch, and a 24inch, both 1080p.

Comment

Originally posted by finite9 View Post

Dang someone beet me too it! That was a classic Eric - the epitome of irony: " I am trying to strength my writing skills".

But seriosly, You will likely be a welcome addition to the site.
                  THAT was just a typo! Lol... I read over the post twice before I sent it off to Michael, but I guess it slipped through.

Comment

Originally posted by krach View Post
                    I'd love to see articles about the state of Linux on mobile. We have Jolla, Firefox and now also Ubuntu.
                    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                    I've got a Nexus 6, don't mind flashing a ROM on it to play around, if any of the images support the N6. Otherwise yeah I'd need hardware, perfectly open to doing that though!
                    Too bad, I searched a bit, but it seems none of them readily runs on N6.

Though incidentially, I stumbled over a very recent comparison here.

Comment

Hello there,

I'd really like to see some investigative reporting on the ffmpeg & libav sides.

I never could quite get an understanding of what the issues were, the personalities, the agendas, and why there was a forcing of ffmpeg out of the Debian archives. Seemed strange and un-open-source'ish. I would read one side and then think, "ah, yes, you're so right, I will insist on using this library!" and then I'd read the complete opposite viewpoint, and think, "wait a minute, I wasn't being told everything!" *

So sure, reading about Linux games and that kind of thing is light and fun, but when there's this kind of acrimonious rot going on in communities that no one wants to look at because it's, well, ugly, then this is where I'd wish someone would start digging and present an objective look, who isn't vested in one side or the other. So then I and others can make up our minds without having to dig through mailing lists. The community needs this.

* Such as these posts:
                      - https://blogs.gentoo.org/lu_zero/201...bute-to-libav/
                      - http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html
                      - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/76-htp...-vs-libav.html

Comment

Working...
                      X