Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Place Where Linux Code Is Constantly Being Benchmarked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The New Place Where Linux Code Is Constantly Being Benchmarked

    Phoronix: The New Place Where Linux Code Is Constantly Being Benchmarked

    It's close to 50 Linux systems initially in the new automated test farm that are doing nothing but benchmarking day-in and day-out of upstream, open-source code! I've spent over the past month and hundreds of hours building the new server room and after a lot of work, it's now back to being fully operational and churning out tons of Linux code being rigorously tested throughout the day in looking for performance regressions and other issues. Here's a look at the new environment: an open-source test farm that has a command-center-like screen and a bar.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21587

  • #2
    Lucky sob...
    Lucky to be able to play with all that. And lucky the misses puts up with all that gear in the house (I have friends that caught flak for a single ethernet cable ).

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Lucky to be able to play with all that. And lucky the misses puts up with all that gear in the house (I have friends that caught flak for a single ethernet cable ).
      Fortunately, she thinks all the tech stuff is sexy and does some of the PTS work. Beyond that, with working from home, it's not like any discussion of how much gear I'm allowed to have.
      Last edited by Michael; 03-25-2015, 11:07 AM.
      Michael Larabel
      http://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks Michael!

        For all your great work into PTS and regression testing.
        It is amazing that Linux Foundation doesn't already do regression testing.

        Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Fortunately, she thinks all the tech stuff is sexy and does some of the PTS work. Beyond that, with working from home, it's not like any discussion of how much gear I'm allowed to have.
        Cool!
        Out of curiosity, what work on PTS does she do?

        Comment


        • #5
          Great stuff.
          A lot of regression testing day by day, looking forward to the biggest regressions and improvements you will find over time.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Out of curiosity, what work on PTS does she do?
            Facilitates testing, figures out why systems are hanging, basic debugging, and office work like doing NDAs / filling out paper forms / other stuff. Is slowly getting on doing pts-core development.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok, now I'm jealous...
              I thought it was going to be a server room, but apparently there are still computer all over the place. Doesn't the noise drive you crazy?!
              I think the computers can be stacked better to allow more computers on one shelf, that makes cable management easier as well. Also, maybe now is a good time to replace the old CompuLab system with a Fitlet-X. More ports, easier cable and server management.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jeroen View Post
                Ok, now I'm jealous...
                I thought it was going to be a server room, but apparently there are still computer all over the place. Doesn't the noise drive you crazy?!
                It's not too bad and I'm used to it. Plus Phoromatic powers on/off the systems as needed.

                Thermal in new environment is also much better than old setup with the temp range in there just being 70~73F (22.7 C).

                Originally posted by Jeroen View Post
                I think the computers can be stacked better to allow more computers on one shelf, that makes cable management easier as well. Also, maybe now is a good time to replace the old CompuLab system with a Fitlet-X. More ports, easier cable and server management.
                It's as good as I can get it for now and without getting the systems too warm next to each other and allowing for easy ventilation and easily being able to access systems when needing to attach USB/HDMI for debugging, etc.

                CompuLab is sending out their new systems next month. That CompuLab Phoromatic Server though doesn't matter about ports, etc, the new system will likely just be a testing system.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Very nice. You should edit the picture with before and after pictures - I'm not sure everyone knows how much work went into this.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Very nice. You should edit the picture with before and after pictures - I'm not sure everyone knows how much work went into this.
                    I'll post some more in another article.
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X