Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Open-Source Linux Test Farm Is Almost Operational

Phoronix: The New Open-Source Linux Test Farm Is Almost Operational

Here's another update on the construction of the new Linux benchmarking test farm...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hello,

Are you planning on reviewing the different low price server cases you tested ?
    I personnally have a server rack at home with several servers (APC 48U) and I used Norco cases. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts about the different cases you tested.

Keep up the good work

Baptiste

Comment

Originally posted by wichtounet View Post
      Hello,

Are you planning on reviewing the different low price server cases you tested ?
      I personnally have a server rack at home with several servers (APC 48U) and I used Norco cases. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts about the different cases you tested.

Keep up the good work

Baptiste
      Yes, mini reviews at least.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Yes, mini reviews at least.
        Great

Comment

Hummm

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: The New Open-Source Linux Test Farm Is Almost Operational

Here's another update on the construction of the new Linux benchmarking test farm...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Build-Update-4
          Seeing the close proximity of the tops of the racks to the ceiling, I would worry about uneven cooling in the rack due to heat collecting at the ceiling. It might take some airflow (== noise) to keep the room evenly comfortable between sitting and standing.

Perhaps even worse, if the air cooling for this room is combined with that of the rest of the house, then that system could be working hard for just 1 room.

Or I might totally misunderstand the heat generation and cooling demands of this setup.

Comment

Amazing transformation. I can't believe it's the same room. Sure enough, there's the door, the window, the support column.

Actually, that room is WAY too nice to be a test farm. Well, you do have to work there, so it might as well be nice.

I'm thinking that the tiles might crack from the rack-mounts?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
              Seeing the close proximity of the tops of the racks to the ceiling, I would worry about uneven cooling in the rack due to heat collecting at the ceiling. It might take some airflow (== noise) to keep the room evenly comfortable between sitting and standing.

Perhaps even worse, if the air cooling for this room is combined with that of the rest of the house, then that system could be working hard for just 1 room.

Or I might totally misunderstand the heat generation and cooling demands of this setup.
              Top few Us will be the switch, power connectors, and shelf for Intel NUCs and other mini PCs. Not too concerned. There's two vents pushing air from ceiling and a large cold air return vent at bottom of ceiling. The same systems so far survived running in existing 10x10 space.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
                Amazing transformation. I can't believe it's the same room. Sure enough, there's the door, the window, the support column.

Actually, that room is WAY too nice to be a test farm. Well, you do have to work there, so it might as well be nice.

I'm thinking that the tiles might crack from the rack-mounts?
                Thanks, just took a lot longer to do all of this construction work than I had anticipated :/ Yes it will be nice for benchmarking.

It's not actual tile. It's vinyl planks in 13 inch x 48 inch panels atop an insulation / moisture barrier underlayment. The weight of it should be distributed fine, otherwise no worries, as wasn't too happy with the quality of this particular flooring and already had some bad cuts and corners of the planks scratched up as how they arrived... So if the only problem ends up being bad flooring in a few spots, no problem as will replace it in a few years. Up close you can see the current imperfections but from afar it looks nice and looks more like real tile than vinyl planks.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                X