Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tour Of The New Phoronix Office

Phoronix: A Tour Of The New Phoronix Office

As most Phoronix readers know, earlier this summer I relocated from the high-tax, corrupted, crime-ridden Chicago to Indiana and with that Phoronix Media migrated. While my office configuration is slowly coming along and evolving, here's a look at things with most of the day-to-day setup now established. It's quite a different setup from the last Phoronix office tour two years ago. Like the last tour, this article is also to serve as some other recommendations I have about various products that otherwise wouldn't get (any or much) coverage on Phoronix but are worthy of a shout-out to Linux users and computer enthusiasts.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Here's an idea how to maximize your profits. You do a lot of tests on lots of hardware which produces a lot of heat, so you could grow some crops in there, so you get a beautiful greeny environment and sell crops. Recommend starting with broccoli since it's pretty pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Here's an idea how to maximize your profits. You do a lot of tests on lots of hardware which produces a lot of heat, so you could grow some crops in there, so you get a beautiful greeny environment and sell crops. Recommend starting with broccoli since it's pretty pricey.
      On the bright side, Indiana is basically the same latitude as Illinois. Depending on where exactly he moved, his winters ought to be pretty cold, so at least then his electric bill will be relatively low.

The new place does seem nicer, and a lot larger. It's a good thing Fatima is (to my knowledge) a little tech savvy herself or else she might not be able to put up with so much computer hardware everywhere. Gets me to think though - depending on how much money you save by moving to this new place, I'm sure you might be able to some day rent a small office space to contain all this hardware. Indiana isn't exactly known for its tech industries so I'm sure it won't be expensive, though I understand that at the moment you probably can't afford it.

Comment

Welcome to the Hoosier State!

As you probably already know, Debian got started at Purdue University.

If you find yourself down in Indy, the Ratskellar on Mass. Ave. has an excellent Biergarten too!

Comment

No Fatima pics to model the stuff?

Comment

Wow, your new office looks awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              The new place does seem nicer, and a lot larger. It's a good thing Fatima is (to my knowledge) a little tech savvy herself or else she might not be able to put up with so much computer hardware everywhere. Gets me to think though - depending on how much money you save by moving to this new place, I'm sure you might be able to some day rent a small office space to contain all this hardware. Indiana isn't exactly known for its tech industries so I'm sure it won't be expensive, though I understand that at the moment you probably can't afford it.
              I'd rather have it at home... First, much more convenient. Second, I don't bother driving cars. Third, many tax and other economic advantages to having large, dedicated home office.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
                If you find yourself down in Indy, the Ratskellar on Mass. Ave. has an excellent Biergarten too!
                I'm just an hour outside of Chicago but if ever near Indy, will check it out! Thanks for the tip.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Can't wait for the per-commit performance of Mesa and the Linux kernel, I tought you abandoned it
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Published on 21 July 2014

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I'm just an hour outside of Chicago but if ever near Indy, will check it out! Thanks for the tip.
                    Michael, it says this story was published on 21 July 2014. Is this supposed to be on top of the front page at the moment?

Comment

Working...
                    X