No announcement yet.

Experimenting With No "Hover Ads" On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, the text link ads aren't the most annoying. Its the pop over ad that is the most annoying.
    I don't have flash... so with adblock off I just see a bunch of missing plugin spaces. Very rarely I will see an actual ad.

Comment

A few hundred a month would be very serious money to me!

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      That'd likely generate only a few hundred or so a month, if that.... I really don't see it being a viable revenue source.
      That goes to the difference in incomes among people: to me a reliable source of several hundred dollars a month would be one hell of a lot of money and
      a game-changer.

Comment

If you want to deal with AdBlock users, use non-invasive advertising. If I have a fresh install of Firefox or something and haven't put AdBlock on there yet, as soon as I visit Phoronix I am reminded to go get AdBlock, instantly. No other website I visit is littered with advertising as much as Phoronix.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          That goes to the difference in incomes among people: to me a reliable source of several hundred dollars a month would be one hell of a lot of money and
          a game-changer.
          Phoronix server expenses alone cost $500+ per month..... My electrical expenses area lot more, not counting all other expenses. Heck, I'm going to move to Indiana from Chicago soon to lower expenses.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Phoronix server expenses alone cost $500+ per month..... My electrical expenses area lot more, not counting all other expenses. Heck, I'm going to move to Indiana from Chicago soon to lower expenses.
            If a few hundred extra bucks a month isn't appealing, you're making plenty of money.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
              (contribution now sent in to support adblock plus...)
              The author of Adblock Plus accepts money to unblock some sites by default, which is why people should use Adblock Edge instead.

To surf the web a complete prevention suite is required, you need to be ready to block not just ads, but trackers, scripts, plugins, cookies, referrer, and even obfuscate your browser to reduce fingerprinting techniques. The most offensive anti-adblocking sites might require some stylish or greasemonkey scripts.

The web became way too hostile to naively use it with a plain vanilla browser, and i can't imagine doing it like that in a mobile.

As for, business models, yadda, yadda; well, if it fails it fails, good riddance and others will come. In fact the amount of people using ad blockers is too small to affect the revenue of a site and its usually the whole idea that might be flawed to begin with.

The solution is very simple but people like Michael are lazy. They have to strike the deals directly, and not use a third parties to serve ads. You serve the ad (from your server and your bandwidth), and it will be seen. Get some sponsors, such as Valve and the german beers, and because you cut the deals, these should bring far more money per view.

Also, a single static ad per page at most. Of course i don't expect any change any time soon, and the site still goes on so its not in any danger the way it is.

I am surprised you had something so horrible in the first place, i could have never guessed you had those links pop up ads in place. You just reinforced the need to defend ourselves against the hostile web. Are you even not blocking ads? You can never honestly answer, or you live in multi megabit land where contacting 30 servers before any page gets displayed, and executing an obscene amount of scripts, plus loading plugins such as flash and java, doesn't bother you and somehow it all loads under 1sec.

Well good luck convincing people to opt in to watch those ads.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Yeah, they're incredibly annoying until you learn how to avoid them and then they become a non-issue.
                You two are such saints. The first time I saw Kontera ads on some site ages ago, it took me about 30 seconds to find how to block them, and they have been blocked ever since.

Comment

That'd likely generate only a few hundred or so a month, if that.... I really don't see it being a viable revenue source.
                  Given it's zero upkeep and long tail income, why not add it?

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
                    To surf the web a complete prevention suite is required, you need to be ready to block not just ads, but trackers, scripts, plugins, cookies, referrer, and even obfuscate your browser to reduce fingerprinting techniques. The most offensive anti-adblocking sites might require some stylish or greasemonkey scripts.
                    You will like my browser, if it ever gets started :P

The design doc says to check latest panopticlick for most common values of everything, and send those. Why yes I'm on a Chrome 56 Windows 7 with standard fonts only and the built-in flash plugin there, thanks for asking. My CSS-accessible history shows I visit sport betting sites and NBC, and my geolocation says I live in NYC.

Comment

Originally posted by MWisBest View Post
                      If a few hundred extra bucks a month isn't appealing, you're making plenty of money.
                      It's not that it's not appealing, it's just that alone or anything close to that isn't really viable if the original poster was thinking it could replace ads.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X