Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Else Would You Like To See On Phoronix This Spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
    Disabling ad blocker didn't go well. I want ads like this gone, please. Until then I have to keep the ad blocker up.
    Ads like that aren't supposed to happen. When totally irrelevant ads appear, they are blocked. I don't get to see/approve every ad out there. When I see a bogus ad myself I can block the URL but otherwise I rely upon people like you who see these bogus ads (mostly in non-US countries) to let me know their URL so I can block them.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

More benchmarks!

-Compilers: versions, flags, different architectures, more compilers
      -Include javascript engines in benchmarks. At least node or something using libv8
      -A benchmark to help test reponsiveness to better test schedulers, kernels and filesystems
      -PTS: default test collection(eg.: IO profile consist of postmark, sysbench and iozone), try to use those default test collections is most benchmark articles, PTS synthetic benchmark scores(weighted score of a benchmark profile)?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Again, that isn't possible to write less articles and just put more polishing into articles... Not until there's less AdBlockers, more high quality Linux advertisements available, more premium subscribers, etc.
        And there you have your vicious circle. Once you have higher quality articles I am willing to deal with ads on your side, for articles like this I am definitely not.
        Now you can say: Hey, disable the adblocker and I will write higher quality articles, but will you give us a warranty for that? As I see it the breaking of that circle has to come from your side, not from ours.

Comment

Again, that isn't possible to write less articles and just put more polishing into articles... Not until there's less AdBlockers, more high quality Linux advertisements available, more premium subscribers, etc.
          actually it is. more quality articles will bring you more readers who will appreciate your articles more, it will establish your name as a quality source of linux news instead of a tabloid source of linux news and thus more people will subscribe and more quality sites will link to your articles.

it's an investment, but then most things which improve quality are, but just pumping out articles so you can claim to have posted X number of articles at the end of the month will not change people's minds in using an adblocker. Half of what is posted could probably be placed into a twitter: "Hey I am testing RHEL 7.0 and looking good" instead of an article pointing to an old article and saying your in the processes of running the <what ever> test suit.

Research your articles instead of going with some hype about mega super duper bug #34353 to get clicks and if by some error it seems the hype was wrong be a man and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            And there you have your vicious circle. Once you have higher quality articles I am willing to deal with ads on your side, for articles like this I am definitely not.
            Now you can say: Hey, disable the adblocker and I will write higher quality articles, but will you give us a warranty for that? As I see it the breaking of that circle has to come from your side, not from ours.
            I don't have the resources until the ad blocking is disabled. I've already shown that when there's very fruitful ad campaigns I write more interesting content.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind is more low end system testing.

Here I'm thinking Atom and any ARM based bards you can find that are similar to the AM1 boards. Head to head testing and comparisons would be fantastic. The potential uses for these boards are embedded controllers, HTPC systems and small servers. In other words don't test them with the idea that they are high performance workstations but rather low cost solutions to a number of non mainstream uses.

Oh and power performance is important and frankly you need a better way of getting the power behavior of various boards across. For one in theses sorts of applications the idle and sleep power draws are just as important as the power draw when compiling Linux or whatever you load the machine with. For HTPC the power draw when playing a video should be documented too.

Comment

Desktop responsiveness

I'd like to see an article about BFS I/O scheduler and its prospecting integration, including its effects on distros adopting it like Openmandriva, that carries a set of patches like CK1, BFS (CPU by Con Kolivas), BFS (I/O scheduler by Paolo et al).

Also I'd like to see its effect on low memory systems with slow disks and CPUs.

Thanks for the great work, Michael et al. You do a great job.

Comment

I don't have the resources until the ad blocking is disabled. I've already shown that when there's very fruitful ad campaigns I write more interesting content.
                  Don't worry, Michael, talk about entitlement: Write me a good article, and I'll stop circumventing your revenue stream. What kind of crap is that? And talk about going off-topic. This article is about ideas of things we want to see in Phoronix, not to explain how much better we could (presumably) do Michael's job.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    +1

I understand the argument that Ubuntu has the biggest share, but I doubt that market share is proportionate to the Phoronix readership market share. Apart from a few fanboy Ubuntards around these parts, I think most of us use distros that are more representative of the standard Linux stack and would like to see pretty much any distro other that Ubuntu (or its derivatives) used.
                    I have to agree with this one! I never like Ubuntu and frankly see it as highly overrated and a bit ugly. Personally I'd go cold turkey and drop any mention of Ubuntu completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post
                      Disabling ad blocker didn't go well. I want ads like this gone, please. Until then I have to keep the ad blocker up.
                      Another issue I have to agree with, especially the floating adds that screw up your Broswers operation. I understand the need for ads, but there is no justification for the pop up and floating adds. All they really do is put Phoronix in very poor light.

Comment

Working...
                      X