No announcement yet.

Less Than Half The Phoronix Traffic Is From Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BUT ok I cant really say much about if Wnidows is better I get a feeling of needing to puke when I see it, but thats maybe because of freedomness and not about technicaly better or worse plattform for developing. I never made much under Visual tools. I just hated it when I tried to get something opensource stuff running under windows and they say me pay me 1 Trillion dollar to get that compiled, and even if you download some lite verisons or something you cant just copy your c code and press compile done...

They dont care about standards, thats something a developer should hate... But if you did not try using emacs for at least a week I think you cant say either not if windows as development plattform is technicaly better.

But at least you have all your tables everything as ascii files and can diff it with git, thats cleary one feature over microsoft office... but yes its difficult to talk more about that

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      Let me ask you this: Can my future workplace let me use an operating system other than Windows such as Ubuntu or GNOME 3 to do my work? I don't think so. I don't think it will matter if I try to install Windows in a VirtualBox just so I can run Microsoft Office 2013 that they want me to run. If too many jobs in United States require Windows, then why would I install Linux just to install Windows in a VM? Let alone Adobe products if I'm forced to use them? Besides, even if people claim to mention that Linux is in high demand, there no way out of Windows!

I've been living Windows-free since November of 2012 with a custom-built computer. But that day will be over once I find a job so I can make some money. I hope one day the resource-based economy might change all that. I love computers and I love to do web development (I'll have to relocate out of Tallahassee, FL and web development is too specific right now); I really do. But it will just be too hard to find a job that is completely platform-agnostic. If a job lets me use a Mac or Linux, I'd be all over for it as I have zero influence in Microsoft.
      Some of the more relaxed State of Florida agencies don't care what operating system you use as long as you are able to do your job. You should definitely look around.

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
        What puzzles me most is having so many Phoronix readers using Chrome given the overall tone of the Phoronix Forums.
        The overall tone of the Phoronix forums is voiced by a vocal minority of OSS evangelists who live in a black and white world.

Originally posted by nll_a
        Well, I guess it's just the Windows users.
        No, Chrome on Linux here. It's a good browser which actually manages to use KDE's file dialog and password wallet out of the box. Something Firefox still can not do without addons, even after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
          No, Chrome on Linux here. It's a good browser which actually manages to use KDE's file dialog and password wallet out of the box. Something Firefox still can not do without addons, even after all these years.
          No, Chrome is the ie6 of todays internet. Like all of Google's crap outside of search, it's a half working piece of shit.

Comment

Linux by choice, Windows by trade. Even though that's only half true (i do a lot of work, even artwork, on Linux) it still means I spend a lot of time in Window and I don't avoid Phoronix while I'm there. Windows is not a bad platform (Win 7/8.1 here), but I love FLOSS tools and philosophy, and I'm dreaming off (and working towards) the day I only need to boot into Windows for testing.

Also, Chrome user here (on both platforms).

Comment

Why you guys use Chrome instead of Chromium?

Comment

What is this "Linux" you speak of?

I only use Ubuntu, Android and Chrome OS.

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                  This is insane. Why are they even here? I can understand even Apple but Mices? There're no news for them at all or am i missing something?
                  Because there are loads of Linux users with one gaming PC devoted to Windows. They are browsing Phoronix from those computers, even using IE.

Comment

I come here several times a day to read the news, but my work is Windows-specific stuff (for now) so I just do all my surfing on Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      Why you guys use Chrome instead of Chromium?
                      Built-in pdf viewer & flash player is why.

Comment

Working...
                      X