Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    I do not laugh at religion either.
    I do because I think is something false and useless. I just keep my thoughts for myself unless I am asked about them.
    I'm only critical about extremism, zealotry, and people pushing their faith upon others.
    I agree but I didn't see any extremism or zealotry here. Just a guy's surprise when he sees the windows stats in a Linux site. It's just a logical reaction.
    They just happen to be traditionally found among religious people, but some are also very vocal in the free software movement. That, however, does not dictate my opinion on these movements. Just on some people.
    Does not? Then if you could do all your jobs with Linux, you would still use windows?

Comment

FreeBSD here - home directory shared, FreeBSD for development and Debian for surfing and testing (two identical workstations). Use firefox-esr on FreeBSD and Iceweasel on Debian (Wheezy).

Comment

YES! EVEN THE WEB BROWSING IS SLOW ON LINUX! :D
        My PC:
        Athlon BE 2350. OCed to 2.5 GHz
        4 GB DDR2 RAM
        Radeon HD 3650
        HDD 7200 RPM 320 GB

On Linux, when I open a web browser and I load up 20 tabs, it gets stuck, it's all unresponsive, I was often forced to do REISUB.
        On Windows 8.1 however, I can still open more tabs and it's ok!

Not only gaming sucks on Linux (I have legacy GPU but I tried with nVidia GT 520 and it wasn't any better) but also WEB BROWSING so why would I visit phoronix from Linux? My android phone is deadly slow as well (but this is because Android is another shitty OS ...)

There is one thing however which I love about Linux: I have full control of the OS. I can customize it very well (but I really don't need customization)
        Another thing that I noticed in Dota 2 on nVidia GT 520 - on Linux, moving the camera was SMOOTHER (higher FPS) than on Windows .... however, it got completely stuck every 3 seconds so it made the game unplayable on Linux

To actually make Linux perform well, you need a NEW 500$+ rig ... I can't afford that now. (I wouldn't pay for Windows license either, the Win 8.1 I have on my PC is bought for cheap from a friend because he uses Win 7 instead)

Comment

Most of my systems run Linux, but I still do relatively more web surfing on Windows for a relatively lame reason...

I only have one set of audio speakers, they're plugged into the Windows box, and I'm too lazy to crawl under the desk and move the plugs back and forth between systems
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
            This is insane. Why are they even here? I can understand even Apple but Mices? There're no news for them at all or am i missing something?
            Well, you know, its fun to do something stupid and relaxing after work, like reading what biggest trolls organisation in world is doing, how keyboys (keyboard cowboys) are fighting at their best Of course, there is other places too, but phoronix is just number uno in population of brilliant minds and science breaking stuff
            My windows is perfect, so i have nothing to do in windows forums, and reading news is boring too, you know, there is nothing interesting, just many dead people, who cares, so i have my funny pages list that i visit from time to time, like funny pictures, videos, ze world of linux, cute animals, other stuff.
            Last edited by startzz; 25 February 2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plantroon View Post
              YES! EVEN THE WEB BROWSING IS SLOW ON LINUX! :D
              My PC:
              Athlon BE 2350. OCed to 2.5 GHz
              4 GB DDR2 RAM
              Radeon HD 3650
              HDD 7200 RPM 320 GB

On Linux, when I open a web browser and I load up 20 tabs, it gets stuck, it's all unresponsive, I was often forced to do REISUB.
              On Windows 8.1 however, I can still open more tabs and it's ok!

Not only gaming sucks on Linux (I have legacy GPU but I tried with nVidia GT 520 and it wasn't any better) but also WEB BROWSING so why would I visit phoronix from Linux? My android phone is deadly slow as well (but this is because Android is another shitty OS ...)

There is one thing however which I love about Linux: I have full control of the OS. I can customize it very well (but I really don't need customization)
              Another thing that I noticed in Dota 2 on nVidia GT 520 - on Linux, moving the camera was SMOOTHER (higher FPS) than on Windows .... however, it got completely stuck every 3 seconds so it made the game unplayable on Linux

To actually make Linux perform well, you need a NEW 500$+ rig ... I can't afford that now. (I wouldn't pay for Windows license either, the Win 8.1 I have on my PC is bought for cheap from a friend because he uses Win 7 instead)
              Hmm
              Your machine isent that bad
              20 tabs should not lock up unless its 20 pages with flash video or sometthing like that.

What distro are you running Are you using 32bit or 64 bit?
              and are you using Firefox? (Some firefox vesion are very unstable and leaks like hell

As for myself
              I use Windows for games
              Windows for Music (Digital with Dolby Live).
              Ive tried to use linux but the sound are much more "lifeless" probably cause you dont have access to the same codecs and stuff.
              And i use Linux for everything else like surfing and checking the bankaccount or buying things

I also recently got a laptop with windows 8 on it, and i im far from satisfied with it.
              I could live with the fact that it might be a little bit harder to use, but then with Forced Update on top of that

Comment

"some faking their user-agent strings"
                Hehe. Mine is "Mozilla/5.0 (en)".

Comment

Chromium?

Did you count chromium with google chrome traffic? because I'm pretty sure chromium deserves to be on that list with chrome and firefox :I

I jump quite a bit between windows and linux myself, lately I've mostly been reading this with chromium on linux, but before I've very frequently visited this place on chrome in windows.

Regardless of what OS I'm using this is where I go to hear about news from linux world. I'm pretty sure most windows users that read this are the same; they use both linux and windows, but may use windows more frequently because of the inconveniences that come with linux.

Comment

I do not laugh at religion either. I'm only critical about extremism, zealotry, and people pushing their faith upon others. They just happen to be traditionally found among religious people, but some are also very vocal in the free software movement. That, however, does not dictate my opinion on these movements. Just on some people.
                    People made up 3 things to control other people - santa claus (for children), religion (for old people) politics (for the rest). Because, you must to believe in something, even aliens, or else life would be useless and chaotic.

Comment

I develop on windows and Linux, and Visual Studio is a very good development environment, certainly not targeted at consumers (and yes, an IDE helps development). It's not free, but in a big company, who cares? I cost them much more than any license I use.
                      Regarding non developer work, Microsoft Office on average is largely superior to anything available on Linux (although we use LaTeX for some documents).
                      Supperior is a to broad statement for me. The question is more do I need it. I get that some people need features from MS Office that Libreoffice cant give them but are that Developers?

Are you developing Software or do you write 10hours a day Excell-macros or making Powerpoint?

So a normal Developer has his meetings where they talk, or they write ascii emails or they phone with people and else they develop. There most of the time they document their stuff by sourcecode comments, with that if wanted they can get a html api doc or something like that.

Really who is a developer but needs all 1Million MS Office features?

I use emacs but even when I did not... I would never use MS Office for anything, most I maybe used where abiword or gnumeric. Of course 1000 Developoer have maybe 2000 different workflows and I talk to generall maybe but that you did that too ^^.

Today I even try to use emacs org-mode as database ^^ but its more a wiki + dokument-authoring tool.

BUT nearly forgot one importent Point I wanted to make, you develop a software 1 time for everything, it works basicly everywhere (Linux, Freebsd, Apple, Chromeos, AIX, Solaris) everything but Windows then you make a special version for windows that is somethimes nearly the double work to do but its with good consideration of which libs u use doable... The other way around developing something in visual c++ and port it then to something different is nearly impossible.

Yes you maybe dont care and Windows has bigger market share (now) than everything else, so you think you can ignore it, even to get 0 Money from apple guys alone can smaller your benefit a few percent. But what happens in the future, windows will keep loosing market share, and most likely faster and faster, (Steamos should have 30% of the consumer market easily if not more of new gaming machines in 2 years...) Android has total dominance on the tablet market and its main competitor is not Microsoft but apple. but even today more tablets get selled than normal pcs.

But ok you maybe dont care its the company making this big wrong desitions and you got in worst case in a few years fired because of that...

So maybe the development tools are not that bad cant say much I heard many people who tried using it hated microsofts apis and tools, but ok. The point is and stays its not included, and even the ability to choose from every language and every api you want yes you can maybe write .net code with different languages but its always .net... if you dont like the stuff in their, you are not happy with its abilities or just want to have a different api because you dont like it... you are fucked.

But maybe I am wrong and windows is super duper as development plattform, I would just byte off my tung developing useless code that I sell directly all rights copyright to the company, and they could sue me if I use it myself and they can use it to do evil stuff what most likely will happen...

But (again but ^^) at least windows sucks installing stuff. I can get more or less everything through the installer/updater, in windows you have to search stuff manually such stuff sucks also as developer.

So the question is not so much which is a better development environment but want I develeop only for windows exclusivly or not... that for me is maybe a synonym for bad plattform ^^

Comment

Working...
                      X