Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    and back to topic:

I am not suprised that many people use Windows too for other purposes I also use a windows pc for gaming and somethimes I use there the browser and come to this site.

But I am suprised that so many people use it the other way around working on a windows pc... that must be torture, especialy as a developer, GNU/Linux is build from hackers/developers for hackers/developers, to use it as non-developer is just a nice addon on top of that.

But windows is made to be stupid to be developer unfriendly and to be intuitive/stuid. its basicly castrated because the target was clear the consumer. so its a consumer-focused os and totaly bad usable as developer.

But ok if you think thats not true belive it ^^

And yes maybe emacs in widnows is usable I dont know. What I know is that stuff like git and so on did take forever to get released for windows and the list is endless gstreamer bindings etc. But if you develop proprietary software yes you maybe dont miss much under windows.

But each mini thing you want to reach you have to pay first... whatever my pity for you poor people... Visual c# retard windows api ^^
    I develop on windows and Linux, and Visual Studio is a very good development environment, certainly not targeted at consumers (and yes, an IDE helps development). It's not free, but in a big company, who cares? I cost them much more than any license I use.
    Regarding non developer work, Microsoft Office on average is largely superior to anything available on Linux (although we use LaTeX for some documents).

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
      I am using Linux but I navigate through Tor, and user agent switcher in Firefox. Sorry to distort statistics
      I'm probably in the "invisible club", too.

My desktop has been Linux for more than 14 years.
      In the last 10 years, everywhere I've worked, I've had used Linux (mostly research jobs in europe, that explains a lot).
      My current laptop has Linux too.
      The cluster at my current job runs on Linux.

Even my phone and modem are Linux-powered.

I haven't installed Windows since ages...

BUT... I probably don't count in "linux statistics" neither, due to extensive usage of NoScript and the like. I only barely enable the strict minimum to keep a website usable, so I'm completely invisible to any javascript-based statistic engine (such as google's). At least I'm also invisible to javascript-based privacy violation, and imune to most drive-by viruses and exploits.

So unless a website does its own statistics in-house based on the web server's logs, I don't count toward the "2% Linux".

Given how much extension like AdBlock(*), NoScript, DoNotTrack, FlashGot, etc. are popular among tech savvy people, I strongly suspect that a big part of them are seldom counted in statistics.

(*): Speaking of which, thanks Michael for implementing an option for bitcoin donations, that will help fans like me to compensate what you miss from ad revenue.

Comment

I change my user agent to windows so I can use Netflix with pipelight. doubt I'm the only one.

Comment

I run Linux everywhere, game on Linux, have Linux in my office and have Android on my phones/tablets.

Those who use windumbs are:
          - windows trolls (very tiny margin)
          - interested people (tiny margin)
          - people who don't care about or don't understand design philosophy (those who call it "religion"), they switch OSes pretty often (small margin)
          - office people, people who are forced to use windumbs, who browse from work (large margin)

But,.. who cares? A switch and decision to understand is always personal thing.

What Linux needs is software, that is incompatible with windumbs - software that will forcefully make people to stay or switch OS.
          Compromises are hurting much more, because they make OS irrelevant. A forcefull requirement to switch to a good OS is a good thing and also single thing chiefs understand.

Comment

Originally posted by shaurz View Post
            I visit the site when I'm at work, on a Windows machine.
            Originally posted by nll_a
            What puzzles me most is having so many Phoronix readers using Chrome given the overall tone of the Phoronix Forums. Well, I guess it's just the Windows users.
            Nope, I use chrome on my windows and ubuntu

Originally posted by ElderSnake View Post
            Well I can understand various situations some people have to use Windows (poor guys), but.... Internet Explorer?!

No one should have to endure that.
            Unfortunately I have to at work. D: Feel free to pity me

Comment

Originally posted by srkelley5 View Post
              Chrome doesn't need admin privileges to install so it gets me a better experience than ie.
              Firefox doesn't need as well.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                Aliens !!!

Not sure if webOS gets counted as Linux or Unknown but I do read Phoronix primarily on webOS (my webOS tablet, to be specific).

Comment

ide bet a lot of people at work are similar to me... Main workstation is Windows (used for corporate email / legacy apps / web browsing ), remote into many linux machines for development.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
                    Because Linux is not a religion?
                    Religion not, fortunately.
                    But free software movement isn't something to laugh about at.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                      Religion not, fortunately.
                      But free software movement isn't something to laugh about at.
                      I do not laugh at religion either. I'm only critical about extremism, zealotry, and people pushing their faith upon others. They just happen to be traditionally found among religious people, but some are also very vocal in the free software movement. That, however, does not dictate my opinion on these movements. Just on some people.

Comment

Working...
                      X