No announcement yet.

Less Than Half The Phoronix Traffic Is From Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It will be nice to see other users user-agents. Maybe make this feature available for premium accounts only.
    It will help to spot trolls earlier. It will be helpful on controversial topics like systemd/wayland/mir/etc.
    And yes, I know that user-agent can be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Less Than Half The Phoronix Traffic Is From Linux Systems

With the recent news of Linux's overall web traffic doubling to about 2%, here are some Phoronix web statistics for those interested...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTYxNDQ
      I am seeing smilare numbers on the Ubuntu Danish Local website.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        This. I am forced to use office. We have Debian stable here - sadly without wine, without capability installing anything...
        Personally i can't understand why people cry Linux has cons as Desktop. KDE is on par with Windows. No, Doplhin is much more powerful, everything is much more customizable and .... i don't understand it.
        You answered yourself right here: no office (and open/libreoffice still isn't quiet there for me, their pivot tables suck)

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
          Let me ask you this: Can my future workplace let me use an operating system other than Windows such as Ubuntu or GNOME 3 to do my work? I don't think so. I don't think it will matter if I try to install Windows in a VirtualBox just so I can run Microsoft Office 2013 that they want me to run. If too many jobs in United States require Windows, then why would I install Linux just to install Windows in a VM? Let alone Adobe products if I'm forced to use them? Besides, even if people claim to mention that Linux is in high demand, there no way out of Windows!
          your job seems to be very special, its not like in every web devolopers job description or even less for other developers there stands something like they have to write html in word or they have to use adobe software.

most likely nobody forces you into using word anyway... maybe they want dokuments in that format but that is easy to give or to fake.

I even send somebody who I dont care to much a .csv file with the name <name>.xls ^^

ok its only a basic table without much magic but good enough for the job, they dont see a difference.

But of course its about power and will, and prioritories, I dont know what social system you have in america, so maybe your live depends on such job and if you get fired from your owner you die in the next winter from cold in the streets, but if your live/work is less worth than your boss gives you 1 day to setup a linux system / maybe buy a new cheap pc for that and set it up it?s sad.

Especialy as developer I heard first time that somebody got forced to use ms office. makes no sense to me. As a bwl bitch that can do nothing but writing powerpoint shit and waxing their hairs yes ofc.

But maybe in america the world is a complete opposite world than in europa/germany.
          Last edited by blackiwid; 25 February 2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            Because the World is not Black and White.
            I believe it is. Just people tend to make everything complicated.

Comment

Let me ask you this: Can my future workplace let me use an operating system other than Windows such as Ubuntu or GNOME 3 to do my work? I don't think so. I don't think it will matter if I try to install Windows in a VirtualBox just so I can run Microsoft Office 2013 that they want me to run. If too many jobs in United States require Windows, then why would I install Linux just to install Windows in a VM? Let alone Adobe products if I'm forced to use them? Besides, even if people claim to mention that Linux is in high demand, there no way out of Windows!

I've been living Windows-free since November of 2012 with a custom-built computer. But that day will be over once I find a job so I can make some money. I hope one day the resource-based economy might change all that. I love computers and I love to do web development (I'll have to relocate out of Tallahassee, FL and web development is too specific right now); I really do. But it will just be too hard to find a job that is completely platform-agnostic. If a job lets me use a Mac or Linux, I'd be all over for it as I have zero influence in Microsoft.
              I have had 3 jobs as a webdeveloper over the past 8 years, in each of them i was free to use Linux on my workstation, I do live in the EU but I would be supriced if it is realy that strict in the US. Ofcause there is also the option of freelancing where you can pretty much dictate what you use.
              Last edited by AJenbo; 25 February 2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

and back to topic:

I am not suprised that many people use Windows too for other purposes I also use a windows pc for gaming and somethimes I use there the browser and come to this site.

But I am suprised that so many people use it the other way around working on a windows pc... that must be torture, especialy as a developer, GNU/Linux is build from hackers/developers for hackers/developers, to use it as non-developer is just a nice addon on top of that.

But windows is made to be stupid to be developer unfriendly and to be intuitive/stuid. its basicly castrated because the target was clear the consumer. so its a consumer-focused os and totaly bad usable as developer.

But ok if you think thats not true belive it ^^

And yes maybe emacs in widnows is usable I dont know. What I know is that stuff like git and so on did take forever to get released for windows and the list is endless gstreamer bindings etc. But if you develop proprietary software yes you maybe dont miss much under windows.

But each mini thing you want to reach you have to pay first... whatever my pity for you poor people... Visual c# retard windows api ^^

Comment

I largely contribute to the GNU/Linux&Firefox statistic. Although at times I visit the website on my tablet, which is running Windows 7 (Oak Trail, so Linux is not nice to use on it, although I do have it installed in case I need to run a Linux program).

By the way, which statistic do you usually contribute to, Michael?

Let me ask you this: Can my future workplace let me use an operating system other than Windows such as Ubuntu or GNOME 3 to do my work? I don't think so.
                  It depends. If it's a large company, then yes, probably not. If it's a small company, then you have much more of a say as to what tools to use, and might be able to convince others to at least consider your proposal. Mind you, I don't live in the US, I live in the EU; but I do believe that if you are motivated enough, you can convince people to at least allow you to use your personal favourite tools, no matter the country.

It also depends on your field. For instance, in the field of science, you'd normally have no issues whatsoever using GNU/Linux. In my case, I'm writing my Bachelor's thesis, and I'm using Linux tools for all my needs: R for statistical analysis (RKWard as a frontend for it), QGIS and SpatiaLite for spatial analysis, LibreOffice Calc for some quick bookkeeping, and LibreOffice Writer for composing the actual document. We had courses about using the different software, but it was all for Windows (in the same order: STATISTICA, ArcGIS, Microsoft Word and Excel 2007). These programs, in my experience, are inferior to the Linux variants, both in functionality and especially price (exorbitant price for each of those, no way anyone could ever buy that outside programmes like DreamSpark). During those courses, what I did was learn about those Windows programs, but also duplicate the effort and learn about the Linux alternatives of them and how to achieve the same result with them. In case of spatial analysis, the lecturer was impressed enough that he dedicated an entire lecture on QGIS, and also asked a guest scientist to talk in it (who, by the way, uses Debian for all his work). I've also seen bioinformatics scientists using exclusively Linux for all their work (and several different distros, at that; I recall they used at least Fedora and openSUSE). Also, generally in my university it's a common practise to carry personal laptops to the work place, so nobody objects if you use Linux, as long as there are no outstanding data exchange problems.

Another field where you probably wouldn't have any problems with using GNU/Linux is server administration and maintenance, given that most servers run Linux.

Comment

No Android love? I guess that explains the lack of mobile-friendly versions

Comment

Originally posted by nll_a
                      What puzzles me most is having so many Phoronix readers using Chrome given the overall tone of the Phoronix Forums. Well, I guess it's just the Windows users.
                      Yep, you are correct. I work within two vdi's that both run Windows 7. Since I refuse to use ie, I installed Chrome. Chrome doesn't need admin privileges to install so it gets me a better experience than ie. I'm still looking for a new browser since Opera basically has left its' loyal linux users for now. I'm not sure I'll even return when they do, I've used them for nearly a decade which is longer than I've used linux on the desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X