The New Phoronix Site Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    I don't know if this post is ironic or not, but watching pages at 115% isn't really a common use case. To me, the new fonts are a bit too large, so perhaps you can scale down to 100% now? Check it out and see what you think.

Why do you think it is more difficult to read? In what way, I mean? I think Michael needs more informative feedback than "it's worse!" to improve it.

To Michael: I think the new design is an improvement, but to me it feels like there is some needed tweaking still to be done. The article font is a bit too large, which creates a little bit to much spacing in the articles. I like the wider main column, more adapted to a modern high-resolution monitor.
    I do not personally like the green theme, but De gustibus non est disputandum.
    The font also would require some time for me to get used to.

The website in normal zoom looks OK, but benchmarking system parameters should probably use a bigger font (for instance on http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._preview&num=1).

The photo of Michael Larabel that is next to the article title could also be changed. With the smile He looks as if He was stupid (He certainly isn't), but that may be a cultural issue. I would probably remove it completely, it is unnecessary there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
      It's not an OS or web browser issue. The problem is that not all users like the edge smoothed fonts and we stick to pixel fonts. Because of that we have disabled font antialiasing and the result you can find on the screenshots.
      The very same Opensuse+Firefox 27. This is how your response looks on the system, pay attention to upper right region. Per-pixel fonts work just fine. BTW, opensource drivers.

Fix your OS

Comment

Mobile version

New design should focus on mobile version too. Actual version is good readable on mobile, but can be better optimized. But you should be careful, mobile design should not worsen look on desktop.

Yours picture, Michael, in every article is little unnecessary. On site where are many authors can be useful, but when you are only single author...

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
          Does anyone else see a 1-pixel white gap to the left of the header? I guess with window frames or a light background it wouln't be obvious, but it is here.

QUICKEDIT: The massively offset pictures mentioned here also affect me. Firefox 27, AdBlock has nothing to do with it.
          If you really disabled adblocker or whitelisted the site, check that nothing interferes with scripts either.
          http://imgur.com/73T8Hmp

Comment

We are in 2K14 and this site still has no mobile interface. Shame on you.

Comment

By the way, will there be a Linux Graphics Survey 2014 (as there was in some previous years)?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                The very same Opensuse+Firefox 27. This is how your response looks on the system, pay attention to upper right region. Per-pixel fonts work just fine. BTW, opensource drivers.

Fix your OS
                Your response clearly shows that you have no idea what are you talking about. You have font antialiasing enabled that's why it looks like this.

Comment

Zooming of fonts.

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                  You can go into Ghostery's settings and turn of ad-blocking. And only control the ads with Adblock. That's what I do.
                  Okay, disabling the Ads-section in ghostery makes it work, thanks!

There is one thing I noticed. A web page should work no matter the font size is (at least in a certain range). I noticed, however, that the column on the right hand side doesn't scale with the font size (enable: Zoom only text in FFx), whereas the left column scales just fine. Maybe you could reflect this in the CSS file.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                    Your response clearly shows that you have no idea what are you talking about. You have font antialiasing enabled that's why it looks like this.

What broken font rendering have to do with website? You want Phoronix to render fonts for you server-sided and serve them as bitmaps, or you want it to serve the same ugliness to everyone? Fix your OS.

Comment

- washed out colors
                      - no contrast between elements (everything is basically white)
                      - no separation between blocks, articles or elements in the right summary columns (slashdot at least got this right).

Another victim of Win 8 dumbification?

Comment

Working...
                      X