No announcement yet.

Phoronix website design (mostly) fixed by a third-party plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 0.4 of the extension is now available. I have now added better support for the images that are displayed on top of an article.
    Screenshot:

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Any Phoronix-specific extension in any web store or any mirror site, that changes any advertisements will be greeted by DCMA takedown notices and/or will result in obfuscated code for all users on the site.
      LOL!
      someone please share this post with the world

Comment

This is getting UGLY

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Any Phoronix-specific extension in any web store or any mirror site, that changes any advertisements will be greeted by DCMA takedown notices and/or will result in obfuscated code for all users on the site.
        Mirrors and browser extensions to change the look of a single website. Threats of DCMA takedowns. That kind of fighting with the ordinary users of the site caught in the middle can ruin a good thing very quickly. Remember, the competition is google, whose searches can turn up similar information spread out over a million random blogs.

If a mirror site is made, even if the same ads are run, it seems to me the mirror site owner gets the money. This forces a fight, and once defenses like obfuscated code go into use and the site loads poorly in secured browsers, the readership could plummet. Please folks, do not set up mirrors and attack Michael in this way, you will force him to abandon the site entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
          If a mirror site is made, even if the same ads are run, it seems to me the mirror site owner gets the money. This forces a fight, and once defenses like obfuscated code go into use and the site loads poorly in secured browsers, the readership could plummet. Please folks, do not set up mirrors and attack Michael in this way, you will force him to abandon the site entirely.
          Right now I'm thinking of making the extension (and possible site mirroring mechanism, but I haven't really looked into that yet) so it would only do its work when the user has signed into Phoronix premium. That way at least it wouldn't conflict with anyone's ad viewing experience (and would even provide some extra value for premium users), and I like to encourage people to support Phoronix by buying the premium thing anyway.

Of course I've never intended to "attack" Phoronix in any way, but when the users' feedback is not taken seriously, all we can really do is take the matters into our own hands.

Remember, I don't hate Phoronix, just the new theme. I hope Michael doesn't hate on us either.

Comment

This is getting BEAUTIFUL

Version 0.5 of my phoronix extension is now available. The two most noticeable changes are:
            • Wide content (images, youtube embeds, etc.) on articles is now properly supported (ie. scaled to fit article width)
            • Styles are no longer applied on phoronix forums, meaning no longer disappearing/white forum text links

Things are starting to look really good at this point. If no further problems arise, the extension may be ready to be published soon.

Comment

i can't seem to make it work, i get " i can't add.. from this website or address"

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                Mirrors and browser extensions to change the look of a single website. Threats of DCMA takedowns. That kind of fighting with the ordinary users of the site caught in the middle can ruin a good thing very quickly. Remember, the competition is google, whose searches can turn up similar information spread out over a million random blogs.

well, if Michael had not made a website out of rectangles that a 5 year old could make maybe we would not be here. It's really one of the ugliest sites i ever seen, while the old version was fine.

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post
                  i can't seem to make it work, i get " i can't add.. from this website or address"
                  Just tried it on another computer, and it does work for me. You have to go to my original post for the link, download the extension v 0.5 .crx file (it says no preview available, just press download). When it has downloaded, drag and drop the file to the chrome Extensions page. (The page that lists all your installed chrome extensions.) It should now be installed and when you go to phoronix.com - the good old theme is back.

Comment

If that doesn't work you'll need to download the dev version of chrome.

Comment

managed to get it to work, but this is the result:

Comment

Working...
                      X