Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like Next On Phoronix In 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zanny View Post
    If the ARM foss gpu drivers like Lima and Freedreno get good enough to run on devices, I'd like to see benchmarks of those, compared to the Android blobs. I imagine this year we would see arm notebooks good enough to use as desktop Linux machines if the gpus work.
    I'm hoping for passable ARM hardware this year also. As you note though drivers are a huge issue.
    Also would be interested (if you can procure them) information on how well motherboards support coreboot, like what hardware parts it can't init on any given board. I'd be buying mobos with coreboot support (because efi is a trainwreck) if I could, but comprehensive evaluation of boards (even on chipsets that should support it) are few and far between. IE, I have an old AM2 board that works with coreboot but it has an asmedia usb hub that never gets started, so that board has 4 dead usb ports.
    I have to also agree that coverage of how the ""BIOS"" issue is solved on ARM hardware is vital. However I'm not convinced that CoreBoot is the final answer here. We certainly need to see how things unfold and see what the industry adopts. So covering how this all rolls out in the real world is very important.

A question though, what is so bad with EFI? Calling it a train wreck seems to be going overboard.

Comment

Read GPL 3 from begining to end and then try to explain with a straight face why it is a good license. Seriously it does more to damage software freedom than any license out there.
      What damage? It forces any distributors of licensed software to provide source and not cripple hardware to prevent modification. IE, you can't be Apple with gpl v3 code on your iphone, release source, but then provide no way to compile modified forms of said code on the phone. That is the only real huge change besides physical media provisioning being optional between it and v2.

That is protecting your freedoms, how is that bad?

A question though, what is so bad with EFI? Calling it a train wreck seems to be going overboard.
      - I've never seen a board with a working EFI shell.
      - They all use bloated messes of graphical configuration screens when it would make stupidly more sense to have developed a standard API (just an extension of EFI vars) to allow runtime modification of system configuration options, that you can then reboot to change or modify at runtime if possible.
      - The boot procedures mandate a 30 year old file system that is a piece of shit.
      - I've never had an EFI board that could upgrade the firmware without wiping its boot registry.
      - If I do a systemd-analyze blame on my boots on all 3 computers I have with EFI, the firmware takes 6, 8, and 15 seconds to run. Compared to my old am2 board running coreboot with linux as the payload, the firmware time is 0.8 seconds. This shit isn't just space-bloated, it takes forever and doesn't do anything useful.
      Last edited by zanny; 10 January 2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

What I?d like is better written/researched articles, but we all know it?s not gonna happen. Ah, and Metro: Last Light benchmarks of course .

Comment

far less coverage of ubuntu. In fact i'd like to see all references to this distro purged from the site in 2014.
          ussr, 1937?1938

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
            Supposedly Intel will ship a XEON PHI based chip this year that can be used as a system processor. If this happens get your hands on a box!
            ^ This. More server/HPC information, plus more news about phoromatic and PTS and the new gui.
            Perhaps a juju charm for PTS and a way to create a Live testing image that can be PXE booted or used with Canonical MAAS to boot many computers at once without the need of monitors, so that we can automate testing of new hardware/workstations/servers. Example, setup new hardware, not even install an OS, just plug it all in and plug in the ethernet. Boot from PXE (or enter MAC into MAAS) and then it boots and registers itself into phoromatic and starts testing. When tests complete it shutsdown, allowing us to read results and continue installation.
            Either way thanks for the work.

Comment

Kernel tweaks

Benchmarks covering sysctl, proc/sys, module parameter & similar settings under different loads. I'm thinking mostly disk and networking for enterprise environments. There are many articles that tweak specific sysctl buffers, etc, but rarely any data to show what happens.

I believe IPv6 will play an important role in the mobile society in the near future. Benchmarks that show Linux & BSD as clear performance leaders in IPv6 may strengthen their proliferation/adoption. If Linux has some clear & measurable advantages, we techs can leverage these benchmarks when there's a contested opportunity to pull in Linux/BSD, etc.

Comment

far less coverage of ubuntu. In fact i'd like to see all references to this distro purged from the site in 2014.
                seconded,
                - it would be nice to see some distro like archlinux or gentoo etc... even if you said it would be hard, I believe in you
                - Some benchmark of AAA X-plateform games ( steamOS vs Linux vs windows vs mac )
                - 4k benchmark
                - wayland vs mir vs X bench

I just know this website since june, It made me learn lots of stuff about linux, just keep the good work for 2014 !
                cheers !

Comment

Whenever Mir (Canonical's display server) or XMir is benchmarked against X, there should also be Wayland/XWayland results alongside for easier performance comparison between the two.

Comment

While I like links in articles that point to other Phoronix articles, I also would like to see more links that point to items offsite. If you're writing about something in someone's blog, or an announcement at some project site, link to it. Yes, I've seen a mild increase in offsite links. Please do more.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      I would like you to actually enforce the rules and get rid of some of these trolls.
                      I offered to be a moderator just to cut down the offensive language in the forums as I sometimes view the forums from work and its not a good look to have some of posts from this site on your screen but I was ignored.

Comment

Working...
                      X