Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like Next On Phoronix In 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentoo vs Fedora/Ubuntu

I think it would be interesting to see gaming, server(Apache, MySQL, etc), and multimedia benchmarking between the latest Gentoo ~amd64 entirely rebuilt with gcc -O2 -march=native vs latest Fedora vs latest Ubuntu. The number of new CPU instructions the latest Intel processors have has grown by alot, but because binary distros always have to conform to the lowest common dinominator they have to use -march=generic. This turns off modern features like sse, avx and more. You can compare gcc -march=generic -Q --help=target to gcc -march=native -Q --help=target to see for yourself! The question is do these features matter? Can gcc automatically use them or are they features only a human can use?

Comment

How about a "Works well with Linux" hardware section / Amazon shop.

Everything you review that "Works well with Linux" (potentially with ratings for opensourceness/no binary drivers) - each item could have affiliate links. It could be an invaluable resource if done well. You might even be able to pull this kind of data from the open benchmarking site?

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
        less ubuntu related hate - more "vs windows" benchmarks
        +1 on this.

I am being selfish here, but I would like maybe an article on "Gaming performance : KDE vs Unity vs Gnome vs XFCE vs WinXP vs Win 8" (lets go overboard!)
        and similarly "Battery consumption: KDE vs Unity vs Gnome vs XFCE vs WinXP vs Win 8".

Comment

Regarding ads:

I personally don't use AdBlock, I use NoScript instead for security, which as a side-effect remove almost all ads on Phoronix. I don't understand why ads really need js to function.

I am happy to view (and have clicked) ads on Phoronix provided :-

1. They don't use bandwidth-consuming and performance-degrading and possibly malicious JS/Flash.
          2. Don't use tracking cookies (I block third party cookies).

Phoronix being an enthusiast-site (whose users are likely to have implemented such measures) maybe you should invest in finding ad providers that fit the above 2 requirements.
          Also Adblock makes exceptions for "acceptable ads".

Comment

I would like game reviews top linux games. I think Michael should play Amensia: The Dark Decent for our entertaiment. Drunk Michael is, of coarse, prefered.

Comment

Originally posted by nedR View Post
              Regarding ads:

I personally don't use AdBlock, I use NoScript instead for security, which as a side-effect remove almost all ads on Phoronix. I don't understand why ads really need js to function.

I am happy to view (and have clicked) ads on Phoronix provided :-

1. They don't use bandwidth-consuming and performance-degrading and possibly malicious JS/Flash.
              2. Don't use tracking cookies (I block third party cookies).

Phoronix being an enthusiast-site (whose users are likely to have implemented such measures) maybe you should invest in finding ad providers that fit the above 2 requirements.
              Also Adblock makes exceptions for "acceptable ads".
              JS/Flash ads bring in many, many times more money than pure HTML or img ads... I'd be bankrupt if that's all that was run.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                I would like game reviews top linux games. I think Michael should play Amensia: The Dark Decent for our entertaiment. Drunk Michael is, of coarse, prefered.
                I don't play games anymore, haven't had time to "play games" in many years -- aside from driver testing / running around to see the game works fine on hardware/software, etc. Heck I rarely even drink beer these days :/
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  JS/Flash ads bring in many, many times more money than pure HTML or img ads... I'd be bankrupt if that's all that was run.
                  I appreciate that. I am saying maybe add some of those ads too to show the AdBlock crowd.

Maybe you could also try a different tack too. In addition to 'News articles', you could occassionally post detailed Howtos like 'Installing Ubuntu 13.10 along with Windows 8' or 'Installing Nvidia + bumblebee on Optimus systems' or 'Pinpointing & troubleshooting power consumption issues on Linux'. That last one especially since I am having hard time deciphering powertop and similar tools These could bring in hits from google who are looking for help for such issues. Right now bloggers are grabbing most of these searches.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I don't play games anymore, haven't had time to "play games" in many years -- aside from driver testing / running around to see the game works fine on hardware/software, etc. Heck I rarely even drink beer these days
                    Turn that frown upside down!

No Beer = More Money in the pocket!

On a serious note, I'd like to see more games benchmarked. Especially newer and demanding games, with various combinations in settings (meaning not just 1080p resolutions). Older games should also be benchmarked with older hardware. I'd love to see the kaveri apu's benchmarked with Crysis, Far Cry, etc. *even in wine*

Comment

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
                      Turn that frown upside down!

No Beer = More Money in the pocket!

On a serious note, I'd like to see more games benchmarked. Especially newer and demanding games, with various combinations in settings (meaning not just 1080p resolutions). Older games should also be benchmarked with older hardware. I'd love to see the kaveri apu's benchmarked with Crysis, Far Cry, etc. *even in wine*
                      See - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTUyNTU
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X