Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like Next On Phoronix In 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the absence of ntp, how much time does a modern Linux machine lose in 24 hours?
    That's really specific to the mobo, and can't really be generalized further.

Comment

Originally posted by A Laggy Grunt View Post
      Wait, Phoronix has popups? No wonder people are using adblock. If we want people to tolerate the ads, the popups must die.
      I am yet to see any. Some articles have intellitxt ads which can probably be called "pop-up", but it only pops up if you hover your mouse on words with double underline.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        I am yet to see any. Some articles have intellitxt ads which can probably be called "pop-up", but it only pops up if you hover your mouse on words with double underline.
        I got popups when i browsed with the android browser that were incredibly annoying. Upgrading my phone now defaults to chrome and has made them go away, i assume it has some built in blocking. I think most browsers will block popups by default if you haven't clicked on anything, because it used to be a big problem with every site throwing stuff up all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I got popups when i browsed with the android browser that were incredibly annoying. Upgrading my phone now defaults to chrome and has made them go away, i assume it has some built in blocking. I think most browsers will block popups by default if you haven't clicked on anything, because it used to be a big problem with every site throwing stuff up all the time.
          No, that's not it either. I'm using Firefox, and it notifies you if it blocked any popups. But it doesn't do that when I visit this site, so that means it doesn't use popups.

The only explanation I could think of is country-specific ads, or a bug in your browser... I guess Michael could shed some light on this.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            No, that's not it either. I'm using Firefox, and it notifies you if it blocked any popups. But it doesn't do that when I visit this site, so that means it doesn't use popups.

The only explanation I could think of is country-specific ads, or a bug in your browser... I guess Michael could shed some light on this.
            A bug in my browser caused popup ads to appear? That seems... unlikely.

Comment

Pop ups shouldn't happen on the site.... only the full-screen ads (well, like 640 x 480 ad in center of screen with rest of screen shaded until clicking the ad or closing it)... those ads can run up to once per 24 hours for visitors and are geotargeted. While they might be a slight inconvenience for the user, they are shown only on occasion and do much more to help out the site.... About 20x more than a normal flash ad or like 50x more than a simple text ad...
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                Pop ups shouldn't happen on the site.... only the full-screen ads (well, like 640 x 480 ad in center of screen with rest of screen shaded until clicking the ad or closing it)... those ads can run up to once per 24 hours for visitors and are geotargeted. While they might be a slight inconvenience for the user, they are shown only on occasion and do much more to help out the site.... About 20x more than a normal flash ad or like 50x more than a simple text ad...
                Do people here actually click on your ads? Is that how you're generating revenue?

Personally, I have never clicked on an ad anywhere on the web. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                  Do people here actually click on your ads? Is that how you're generating revenue?

The payout is paid per impression, but yes, some people do click ads.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Yes, i guess that's what i meant by a popup. On a phone screen, it certainly appeared like a popup over the page, but it's not actually a new window.

I'm very happy to no longer get them in chrome. The old browser was slow and it wasn't uncommon to cause me to accidentally click on them when i was trying to click on a link before it popped up, or to the side to dismiss it after wards.

I was definitely getting them more than once every 24 hours though. Probably more like 25% of page loads.

Comment

I see. So it's geotargeted, and I'm not being targeted.

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                      I have. Very rarely, but some ads are actually a bit interesting, given good enough targeting. For instance, I've had some Red Hat and Novell ads, and that's pretty interesting (I didn't know they advertised to begin with). Also, I sometimes get an advertisement from a local shop I use to buy PC hardware, and when I want to check prices, ads like that are actually a nice shortcut

Comment

Working...
                      X