Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like Next On Phoronix In 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asariati
    replied
    Michael, maybe you can write some more about ARM hardware and test them. Things coming to my mind are Tegra Note 7 (ARM A15) or utilite.

Also, the new NUC systems with Haswell are interesting

Metro 2033 had a benchmark mode. Are you in contact with 4A Games to get that also to their Linux-version?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by whitecat View Post
    It already exists. Marek Ol??k created it some month ago:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You just have to launch a game like this:
    $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw

This will launch "Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars" and displaying the FPS and the VRAM usage.
    Note that ETQW have already a FPS counter embedded.

But you can use it for Steam games too:
    $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" steam

Note that unfortunatly the VRAM usage is not supported on nouveau (tested with nv50 on a GeForce 210).

Maybe somebody can develop something that saves the FPS from the HUD and import them to PTS so that PTS can benchmarks any commercial game?
    That still doesn't solve issues of automation of the games in a reliable manner... Dumping the Gallium3D HUD information is also only a stop-gap measure since it doesn't work universally for all drivers and zero support for Intel / NVIDIA blob / Catalyst.

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Please benchmark low-end CPU too! eg. Celeron/Pentium G vs Sempron/Athlon X2/X4.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    * maybe add a few other things like NICs/WLAN chips, storage chips or something. Phoronix is very focused on pure benchmarking, but if something runs at all would be interesting, too. E.g. silly chips from Broadcomm or Marvell.
    +1, benchmarks Network chip, USB3 chip, etc.

Leave a comment:

• whitecat
    replied
    Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
    so create equivalent of Fraps on GNU/linux
    It already exists. Marek Olš?k created it some month ago:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You just have to launch a game like this:
    $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" /usr/local/games/etqw/etqw

This will launch "Enemy Territory: QUAKE Wars" and displaying the FPS and the VRAM usage.
    Note that ETQW have already a FPS counter embedded.

But you can use it for Steam games too:
    $ GALLIUM_HUD="fps;requested-VRAM+requested-GTT" steam

Note that unfortunatly the VRAM usage is not supported on nouveau (tested with nv50 on a GeForce 210).

Maybe somebody can develop something that saves the FPS from the HUD and import them to PTS so that PTS can benchmarks any commercial game?
    Last edited by whitecat; 12 January 2014, 10:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    I see. So it's geotargeted, and I'm not being targeted.

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
    Personally, I have never clicked on an ad anywhere on the web. Ever.
    I have. Very rarely, but some ads are actually a bit interesting, given good enough targeting. For instance, I've had some Red Hat and Novell ads, and that's pretty interesting (I didn't know they advertised to begin with). Also, I sometimes get an advertisement from a local shop I use to buy PC hardware, and when I want to check prices, ads like that are actually a nice shortcut

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Pop ups shouldn't happen on the site.... only the full-screen ads (well, like 640 x 480 ad in center of screen with rest of screen shaded until clicking the ad or closing it)... those ads can run up to once per 24 hours for visitors and are geotargeted. While they might be a slight inconvenience for the user, they are shown only on occasion and do much more to help out the site.... About 20x more than a normal flash ad or like 50x more than a simple text ad...
    Yes, i guess that's what i meant by a popup. On a phone screen, it certainly appeared like a popup over the page, but it's not actually a new window.

I'm very happy to no longer get them in chrome. The old browser was slow and it wasn't uncommon to cause me to accidentally click on them when i was trying to click on a link before it popped up, or to the side to dismiss it after wards.

I was definitely getting them more than once every 24 hours though. Probably more like 25% of page loads.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by steveriley View Post
    Do people here actually click on your ads? Is that how you're generating revenue?

The payout is paid per impression, but yes, some people do click ads.

Leave a comment:

• steveriley
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Pop ups shouldn't happen on the site.... only the full-screen ads (well, like 640 x 480 ad in center of screen with rest of screen shaded until clicking the ad or closing it)... those ads can run up to once per 24 hours for visitors and are geotargeted. While they might be a slight inconvenience for the user, they are shown only on occasion and do much more to help out the site.... About 20x more than a normal flash ad or like 50x more than a simple text ad...
    Do people here actually click on your ads? Is that how you're generating revenue?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    No, that's not it either. I'm using Firefox, and it notifies you if it blocked any popups. But it doesn't do that when I visit this site, so that means it doesn't use popups.

The only explanation I could think of is country-specific ads, or a bug in your browser... I guess Michael could shed some light on this.
    A bug in my browser caused popup ads to appear? That seems... unlikely.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X