Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Would You Like Next On Phoronix In 2014?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd like to see a "best $500 Linux laptop" article.

Keep up the news on SteamOS, CentOS, etc.

Keep up the coverage on compilers and languages -- Clang, GCC, Google Go, Mozilla Rust, etc.

This probably doesn't need to be said, but I am intensely interested in the next generation of Intel graphics.
    Last edited by bison; 10 January 2014, 03:42 PM. Reason: correct grammatical error

Comment

Stay the Course, add the New

I disagree with those who criticize you for your "politics." Proprietary software (and hardware) is an abomination. Feel free to frequently remind everyone of the problems it causes. Just look at the security issues at Linux Mint, because they cater to users of proprietary graphics drivers.

I'd love to see more news coverage of Docker!

Comment

More APU tests (both companies), as APUs are the future. I'd also like to see more weird arch/device reviews and benches. ARM of course, but also MIPS Longsoon, PPC.

Comment

Michael, get this Seiki 4k 39" screen and test it with various GPUs and desktop environments. I would gladly donate 10% of the price for some articles about that

Comment

Originally posted by Asariati View Post
            Michael, get this Seiki 4k 39" screen and test it with various GPUs and desktop environments. I would gladly donate 10% of the price for some articles about that
            ummmm http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=19416 etc.....
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              Woaw, I totally missed that article

Are you still using it for day to day work?

Comment

Originally posted by Asariati View Post
                Woaw, I totally missed that article

Are you still using it for day to day work?
                I use it for testing... I don't use it for day-to-day work since I have other monitors and that thing doesn't fit on my desk.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  With writing all the articles myself, spending more time on each articles given the current advertising rates / premium users / AdBlock users is really not possible/economical.
                  Adblock users will not go away! In fact I find the pop up ads especially frustrating on your site, it actually reduces the amount of time I spend on your site. This mainly due to most of my access being via an iPad which doesn't support ad blocking. In any event you are actually encouraging the use of ad blockers when every page load results in the same damn ad being popped up again and again.

As for article length, sometimes they are too short sometimes not. We can debate length all we want but I think the bigger issue is too many articles at times. That is should some article have even been written? I would argue that if you can't take the time to flesh out an article maybe it shouldn't be on the site in the first place.

Comment

If the ARM foss gpu drivers like Lima and Freedreno get good enough to run on devices, I'd like to see benchmarks of those, compared to the Android blobs. I imagine this year we would see arm notebooks good enough to use as desktop Linux machines if the gpus work.

Also would be interested (if you can procure them) information on how well motherboards support coreboot, like what hardware parts it can't init on any given board. I'd be buying mobos with coreboot support (because efi is a trainwreck) if I could, but comprehensive evaluation of boards (even on chipsets that should support it) are few and far between. IE, I have an old AM2 board that works with coreboot but it has an asmedia usb hub that never gets started, so that board has 4 dead usb ports.

Comment

Here are some of my ideas.
                      1. I agree with everybody above, more APU testing should be a priority.
                      2. When talking about APUs, ARM based SoC should be in the comparison mix.
                      3. Far less coverage of Ubuntu. In fact I'd like to see all references to this distro purged from the site in 2014.
                      4. Continue the LLVM/CLang research. Maybe exploring lesser known parts of the program.
                      5. Read GPL 3 from begining to end and then try to explain with a straight face why it is a good license. Seriously it does more to damage software freedom than any license out there.
                      6. I'm hoping that we see some mainstream ARM based hardware suitable for running Linux this year. If so cover such hardware and its suitability for both desktop and mobile usage.
                      7. I'm also hoping that Thunderbolt gets better support under Linux in 2014. It would be very interesting to see performance tests against Mac based systems when this support gels.
                      8. I'm fully expecting hardware to get physically much smaller in 2014, as such a sampling of small form factor machines that don't suck would be nice. Haswell goes a long way to enabling such machines but I have to think that Briadwell will significantly change the small form factor landscape. Thus in the later part of 2014 I'd love to see a round up of small for factor machines.
                      9. I know this isn't your bag but some focus on realtime Linux might be of interest. This includes improvements to the mainline kernel and other projects like RTAI. Admittedly this is a lot of specialized work for benchmarking so it might be best not to dive into the benchmarking of realtime extensions. However for some of us it is as interesting as some of the lesser projects you report upon.
                      10. Keep an eye on AMD and NVidia with respect to their ARM based APUs. Also the lesser players in this market. I know AMD has yet to release anything, but what I'm looking for here is openness with respect to hardware documentation.
                      11. Along the same lines keep a finger on the development of ""BIOS's"" for ARM based hardware. Until some sort of standard is set here, I don't see wide adoption of ARM hardware coming. An easy solution to operating system installation is a critical issue with ARM based hardware.
                      12. 4K video technology will be very interesting in 2014. So articles on hardware and software are in order.
                      13. Along with that 4K reporting above a comparison of various GUI's and their usability on 4K displays would be interesting.
                      14. Sub small form factor machine coverage would be nice. I define these as machines with no fans. Yes an arbitrary cut off, but single board high performance computers that are effectively fan free look to explode in 2014. These may largely be ARM based but it looks like Intel might even have a play in this category. If you notice I have a lot of focus here on small and or embedded hardware. This is important as I see us at a tipping point where real operating systems can operate on very small boards effectively allowing us to put a ""PC"" everywhere.
                      15. There is a lot of new memory tech due to arrive in 2014. Reviews of the tech as it actually starts to ship would be nice.
                      16. Supposedly Intel will ship a XEON PHI based chip this year that can be used as a system processor. If this happens get your hands on a box!

Lot of stuff that came off the top of my head. I'm extremely interested to see how much performance will be packed into compact boxes in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X