Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Laptops Would You Like To See Tested On Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinkpad T540p with a 3K 2880x1620 display.

I'm thinking about getting one of these.
    Unfortunately, it comes with Optimus and there is no AMD graphics option for these models.

Comment

My 0.05?

I would like to see this one tested with linux on it:

Visit Samsung today for Errors/404. You'll find product reviews, answers and support information. Imagine what Samsung can do for you!

AMD APU on it (rebranded), very light and thin. It's just a pitty about the 1336x768 screen...

It's about the only AMD "ultrabook" I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
        chromebooks with standard linux distros on them
        +1

there are a cheap Laptop with Haswell ulv 199? :
        Acer America today announced the availability of a new $199.99 entry-level model in its new Acer C720 Chromebook line for budget-minded customers. Like all Acer C720 models, the Acer C720-2848 runs on an Intel Celeron processor based on the Haswell micro-architecture to deliver fast performance and ...

Comment

Router with DD-WRT and Open-WRT firmware

I want to see performance (speed and latency) for Wifi-Router with DD-WRT and Open-WRT firmware.
          Steam Stream feature depends upon network speed and latency.

I want to see how the 3rd-party Linux based firmware perform.

Comment

Well, seeing as I just bought a new laptop...
            1. I did want benchmarks of the new MBP 13" to see if the 28W TDP processor is actually much faster than 15W Haswell cores (e.g. at compiling)
            2. Fujitsu S904 and T904 look interesting, though they're not out yet
            3. Dell XPS 13 will come with Linux but seems like just another unintersting ultrabook once you look beyond that
            4. Dell M3800 is powerful but enourmous. The XPS15 may be more interesting as a mobile workstation, but again not out yet (I think).
            5. I just bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, which CPU wise is just another Haswell ultrabook, but interesting to play with and has very good Linux driver support (only real issue is battery life is only about 5 of the advertised 9 hours and occasionally going into standby mode fails)

Comment

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E145

Hi Michael,

I can only give a recomendation for a small, lightwight, cheap AMD notebook to test. I think it would fit your profile for the second device just perferct.

An Thinkpad with Kabini (Jaguar) core!

Problem is: I cannot find it on Lenovo USA website. It is widely available in Germany though. See here for example and detailed tech specs:

I would be very interested in two things regarding the Kabini CPUs:

a) How well is the graphics handled by current Linux distributions, newer and older (eg. latest Suse, Fedora and Ubuntu 12.04, RHEL6)

b) How well do the AES-NI instructions work, e.g. is there no performance hit / battery drainage using LUKS for full HDD encryption?

Best regards
              Drake

Comment

I second the suggestion to see a review with a quad-core Kabini.

An AMD A6-5200 Laptop is the IdeaPad S415
                The AMD A4-5000 you can find in the Lenovo ThinkPad E145 and IdeaPad S215.
                The A6-1450 is available in the Acer Aspire V5-122P.

Please do not buy a dual core Kabini (E1-2500 etc.), those are not worth anybody's time.

Comment

I would also like to see how an A6-5200 performs, for example a Toshiba Satellite E Series

Comment

I'd rather see a proper laptop than a tablet convertible.

Asus N550JV-DB71 (comes with quad core, matte fhd, Intel/nvidia gpu)
                    Lenovo Thinkpad T440p (quad core matte fhd version)
                    Lenovo Thinkpad L540 (quad core matte fhd version)
                    Macbook Pro retina 13"

Comment

Razer Blade 14"

Id like to see the Razer Blade 14", using Optimus (nvidia and nouveau) and so on!

Comment

Working...
                      X