Phoronix Premium, Site Improvements Land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Celso View Post
    Hey michael, you may consider remove some of those adds on the forum, because every time i reload a damn page or login on the forum or even reply to a post, it makes always open my google store to make install the baidu software. Is f*cking annoying.

Regards
    Do you got a URL of the ad? without knowing what ad it's from I cannot block it.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Okay, I made some more changes now... On next log-in should now last for entire calendar month while handling validation through other non-cookie measures to help RSS readers.
      Nice! Will re-subscribe as soon as paypal stops misbehaving!

Comment

Latest feature for premium users is that in place of the leaderboard ad on the site, now it will show articles coming up soon... Not advanced access to articles, but only article titles and the number of minutes (or hours) until they will go live on Phoronix. Just for times I write articles in advance of publishing and so to give premium users a heads up if some interesting content/reviews will be on later for checking back.
        As a recent Phoronix premium member - I really do like the fact that you listen to feedback in making your site better. Also - good job on being awesome, keep it up!

Comment

Actually, as a non-premium user, this update was catastrophic. At least here in France, I'm almost not able to read Phoronix any more. On my firefox at home (firefox 24.1.0 on a plain up to date gentoo amd64), it just makes the browser hang, while at work on firefox at work (firefox 24.1.0 on windows 7) doesn't hang but takes ages to load the pages.

What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
            Actually, as a non-premium user, this update was catastrophic. At least here in France, I'm almost not able to read Phoronix any more. On my firefox at home (firefox 24.1.0 on a plain up to date gentoo amd64), it just makes the browser hang, while at work on firefox at work (firefox 24.1.0 on windows 7) doesn't hang but takes ages to load the pages.

What happened?
            ??? I haven't heard of anyone have these issues.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Working fine non-premium here in the US

What happened?
              Firefox 24 on Ubuntu14.14 (alpha)/Cinnamon working just fine. There are reports of premium users seeing ads if not logged in via the forums, meaning they can load the site while considered standard users and also load the ads without hanging their browsers.

See if some local French adserver is serving up bad code that hangs browsers. If it loads in France with adblock but not without, there is bad code being served locally, it needs to be identified. Hell, maybe the offending adserver would pay a reward if the bad code was itself found? Might save their business, they're toast if their partners all find they are being blocked this way,

I've seen a lot of pages on a lot of sites that load slow due to slow 3ed party content. One activist server with a lot of embedded Youtube content that fetched thumbnails from Youtube's servers loaded a hell of a lot faster on my machines after I started blocking Youtube and Google in non-Tor browsers as a security measure. That was even though not one of the videos was set to autostart. Adservers, indeed all embedded content, need to load their content quickly or else let the main site load first and then display as they manage to load.

Comment

Okay, I made some more changes now... On next log-in should now last for entire calendar month while handling validation through other non-cookie measures to help RSS readers.
                Thank you! Subscribed again!
                Rob
                email: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  Firefox 24 on Ubuntu14.14 (alpha)/Cinnamon working just fine. There are reports of premium users seeing ads if not logged in via the forums, meaning they can load the site while considered standard users and also load the ads without hanging their browsers.

See if some local French adserver is serving up bad code that hangs browsers. If it loads in France with adblock but not without, there is bad code being served locally, it needs to be identified. Hell, maybe the offending adserver would pay a reward if the bad code was itself found? Might save their business, they're toast if their partners all find they are being blocked this way,

I've seen a lot of pages on a lot of sites that load slow due to slow 3ed party content. One activist server with a lot of embedded Youtube content that fetched thumbnails from Youtube's servers loaded a hell of a lot faster on my machines after I started blocking Youtube and Google in non-Tor browsers as a security measure. That was even though not one of the videos was set to autostart. Adservers, indeed all embedded content, need to load their content quickly or else let the main site load first and then display as they manage to load.
                  Actually I guessed it, but even with adblock it takes ages to load. Let's say that the banner and the background are immediately visualized, but then it takes minutes for the rest. Even the internet connection can easily be ruled out, because at least at work it's super fast with very nice response times

What could I check in my configuration? cookies? is there anywhere a timeout that blocks if, say, it cannot write the cookies, and then gives up after some time letting the browser load the rest of the content?

Comment

I do not know the answer to that one.

Actually I guessed it, but even with adblock it takes ages to load. Let's say that the banner and the background are immediately visualized, but then it takes minutes for the rest. Even the internet connection can easily be ruled out, because at least at work it's super fast with very nice response times

What could I check in my configuration? cookies? is there anywhere a timeout that blocks if, say, it cannot write the cookies, and then gives up after some time letting the browser load the rest of the content?
                    Not being involved in the site's administration (and with networking as my weak spot) I have no idea what else to check. I do know that a site failing to connect usually does time out. You said it loaded slow but eventually loaded with ads blocked. If load time is same with or without ads, that rules adservers out as the issue. If load time is very slow without ads but a timeout with ads, could be loading so slow that adding anything else hits the timeout. I do not know how to set a browser to never time out and keep attempting to load the site.

With the adservers essentially ruled out as the issue, you will need to work with Michael to find the problem it seem, as if it changed with the site update some interaction between it and your configuration must be at issue.

Comment

Weird, no idea and haven't heard of any other problems. No, cookies aren't used by the main site, only by the forums and then checking for premium status.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X