Please Turn Off The Honton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    I think this issue as a whole runs a little deeper than that. Lets assume that we've all agreed that he's a troll and the only reason why he's posting is to derail or bait people. The fact still stands that he hasn't (from what I've seen) been derogatory or vulgar, and as others have pointed out, there are far worse examples who need a looking at. Is that still enough to have him banned?

That being said, assume that everyone agrees to ban him. Then what prevents the next one, and the next from doing the same? Will we have to go through this all over again? How would we decide again.

If people are actually taking this all seriously, then we should seriously consider a solution that will be more effective long-term. I feel that personal attacks rate higher on the should-be-banned scale than misinformation or bad personal opinion. Good treatment of each other tends to weed out bad information as well (people are less likely to listen to someone who is just being mean, and also more likely to be mean back), and we already have quite a few people here on the forums who do know what's going on 95% of the time.

For this particular case, I would suggest (again) a FYI-you-don't-have-the-only-opinion-and-you-don't-have-to-spread-it-around-needlessly. Take a look at politics, those guys have perfected the art of holding punches. They take a look at what someone's doing, wait for mistake, and then hurl a flurry of attacks, usually convincing a lot of people; you have to make sure the punchline is after the joke.
    you don't need to be vulgar to be a menace

yes, all of them

and i agree
    but he derails topics and creates tension that makes people.. well tense
    i mean really, politics in linux ?

and yes i agree completely
    politics is used for spreading of shit
    and it works 'cuz people will believe anything if it rhymes

but getting down to that level..., id rather write a poem then use words for politics

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      The BSD ANALS guy used to be bad, but he's since stepped it up from "lol bsd" to long essays in good English.
      But most of the stuff he posts is still factually incorrect. Writing essays is meaningless when he does not know what is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
        Q is still around (brosis), but has levelled off the extremes that caused the problems and I give him/her major credit for that.
        Since when is Brosis Q?... Necrolover was the return of Q, and I never saw any similarities between Brosis and Q

Comment

Q is still around (brosis), but has levelled off the extremes that caused the problems and I give him/her major credit for that.
          Things you discover by random browsing...
          Sorry, I am not Q nor related by any means. I have never had any extremes. My position is not fanatical, but based on dry analysis.
          For example some consider RMS to be out of his mind and extreme - he claimed smartphones were spying devices, near everyone laughed.
          Then came Snowden and proved that. All that I know undergoes reaction - decision - declaration and I am never static on mind set.
          I always respected people that have other opinion, except when they try to strategically attack by lying and FUDing. I know the consequences and impact of the proprietary way is more damaging on many levels than paying off, my opinion against MS is justified by own continuous research*. I do value developers getting jobs and payment they deserve, but place higher priority on the ecosystem impact by their own actions. There is a layer above that of the developers, those who have money and use it to build structures that will in end effect limit civilisation progress, freedom and enrichment of whole ecosystem rather than biased control groups. I think necrolover did much more in-depth research, but his way of communication is ... specific.

* I recently tracked MPEG LA to be strongly affiliated with microsoft and function under one policy. As microsoft researches microsoft-only or strictly pay-per-use technology and immediately issues patents, MPEG LA is used to influence hardware manufacturers to lobby (and implement them in hardware) exactly those proprietary platform-limited non-free codecs, leaving much better or equal (per technical comparison) libre technologies out of scope!
          TL;DR - Ms researches and registers, MPEG LA lobbies it on hardware OEMS, everyone is paying for AIR and blocking platform and technology field for next 20 years. This also includes libre developers not getting jobs or newer platforms/techs not developed, ideas dying unimplemented due to impossible market support stance. And as they get money, they get more resource to continue the cycle.

Comment

In regards to mpeg-la and video codecs, daala demo 5 should be out in about a week. If you haven't read their other demos you really ought to; it's really interesting and has be extremely excited for daala in general.

And I totally respect your feelings towards proprietary software. Still, there's been a lot of back and forth on the permissive licenses vs free software licenses on the forums that needs to stop. Both have different uses and in an ideal world I'd love to see them all replaced by GPL
            Last edited by profoundWHALE; 02 March 2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
              Sorry, I am not Q nor related by any means.
              Sorry, wrong name (Necromancer). *slaps self*

Comment

Sorry, wrong name (Necrolover). *slaps self*
                ftfy...1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10

Comment

Both have different uses and in an ideal world I'd love to see them all replaced by GPL
                  That is not an ideal world, it is an asshole world.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post
                    That is not an ideal world, it is an asshole world.
                    In an ideal world where we don't have to worry about getting by and can afford to release all of their works for everyone to enjoy forever?

I'm just realizing that this thread could be attracting the same people that we're worried about.

Comment

In an ideal world where we don't have to worry about getting by and can afford to release all of their works for everyone to enjoy forever?
                      You're obviously extremely deluded.

Comment

Working...
                      X