Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by verde View Post
    your firefox/chrome browser has enabled by default Google. And Google is spyware if Amazon is spyware so fuvk me!
    Utter bullshit! If someone uses a browser to do a websearch it is expected behavior that the search request is send to the net. If I do a search for a file on my machine it is not at all expected behavior that the search request is sent to Canonical/Amazon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
      Utter bullshit! If someone uses a browser to do a websearch it is expected behavior that the search request is send to the net. If I do a search for a file on my machine it is not at all expected behavior that the search request is sent to Canonical/Amazon.
      Then you are using the wrong tool. The dash is meant to aggregate information based on your search query from various sources which includes online sources. Maybe you should understand the tool before using it or just use the file browser to search for files locally. The Dash is not only a local file browser. It does what is expected.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
        They both support Windows, which is completely proprietary, patented and closed source, so I don't see why they would refuse patches for Mir.
        Ask to respective developers if you (still) don't see why.
        In fact they are not supporting MIR, nor planning to do.

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
        Chrome OS is a Linux that boots to Chrome.

Firefox OS is a Linux that boots to Firefox.

Both feature the web browser as the central ui and app runtime.
        Good, but... discussion was around firefox and chrome as browsers, not as mobile and cloud operating systems.
        They are two different products, Linux distributions install the one called "browser", with a search engine as start page, and yes... when you use a search engine to find beautiful things on the internet, you also send your requests to the search engine.
        Not Firefox without your consent: You.
        Last edited by Maudit; 28 July 2013, 05:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisb View Post
          BTW I think you posted the wrong data above - your figures show Ubuntu being 8x more popular than Suse, 5x more popular than Fedora, 17x more popular than Debian, and 3x more popular than Android....
          thats why they're called statistics Facebook boy how many times you going to reply to the same post? and the Deta i posted was not wrong you're wrong "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics" only the NSA has hard data even more do to them nice NSA len's

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
            Then you are using the wrong tool. The dash is meant to aggregate information based on your search query from various sources which includes online sources. Maybe you should understand the tool before using it or just use the file browser to search for files locally. The Dash is not only a local file browser. It does what is expected.

With the "little" difference that dash is not aggregating "informations" but "products", not from an "internet search engine" but from an "on-line store". In fact, as stated before, Dash+Lens = spyware+adware.
            Last edited by Maudit; 28 July 2013, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maudit View Post
              With the "little" difference that dash is not aggregating "informations" but "products", not from an "internet search engine" but from an "on-line store". In fact, as stated before, Dash+Lens = spyware+adware.
              The dash is a work in progress. Not everyone get things right the first time. A notice has since been put in place for users to know exactly what happens when they search in the dash. If they don't like it then they can disable it. If they are fine with it then they can use it. I don't see exactly where the problem is.

Comment

• Originally posted by jayrulez View Post
                The dash is a work in progress. Not everyone get things right the first time. A notice has since been put in place for users to know exactly what happens when they search in the dash. If they don't like it then they can disable it. If they are fine with it then they can use it. I don't see exactly where the problem is.
                work in progress thats why it has been in 3 releases.... 12.10 13.04 13.10 and it's not going away

Comment

• Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  Most of the people are clearly not getting the point.
                  The point is NOT YOU FAVORITE DISTRIBUTION! Or that of your wife!
                  The point is TECHNOLOGICALLY BEST DISTRIBUTION.

The point is a distribution, that features latest technologies that will find their ways in other respins/distributions.
                  The point is to benchmark the herald of Linux tech, not some NIH, half-arsed, buggy, talk-about-humanity-yet-do-crap non-Linux!
                  I disagree and honestly I think you are the one who's not getting the point.

In my opinion the distribution(s) with the highest number of users should be benchmarked. There is no point in benchmarking a distribution which is barely used.

I really don't care what performance I could get if I was using distribution X. I will always use the distribution which has the highest number of users because simply put, it attracts the most packagers. This way I can use prepackaged software and concentrate on my work instead of my OS.

Benchmarking something that is not used, just for the sake of a technology preview, is only helpful from an academic point of view. But it's useless if the majority of the Linux users are not able to benefit from this performance simply because they are using a different distribution. That might be the fault of the distribution still it doesn't change anything for the end user.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    You're not very good at identifying trolls, then. On the pro-Ubuntu side we have verde and....
                    You are fantastic on identifying trolls.

I challenge you to identify, uncover and show everybody the troll post you say i made. Till then i will return characterization but as an anti-Ubuntu troll.

I am not the one who have clearly stated his preference in a distro. You are.
                    Last edited by verde; 28 July 2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                      Search for your file with Nautilus or just deactivate Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                      X