• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
    hmm lets see

- it doesn't install language pack
    hmm http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/...e_Support.html
    - it cannot be upgraded with graphical package manager
    Really? http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PreUpgrade
    What are you trying to achieve? It's broken and it didn't work. It's such simple.

- it doesn't reboot after manual upgrade
    that can be any OS
    I've never had such a problem with Ubuntu/Kubuntu. By manual upgrade I meant yum upgrade.

- it doesn't allow to easily install codecs and proprietary drivers
    Same for most any Linux Even Ubuntu thats why i install the Drivers using the Terminal..
    What's so complicated in Ubuntu that doesn't allow you to install codecs and drivers easily? It finds codecs automatically whenever you want to play an unsupported file.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
      Not me. Although I prefer Fedora as a distro -- I wouldn't touch any Ubuntu derivative myself with a ten-foot pole -- I think Ubuntu is the second-best distro for setting up and running tests on a wide variety of software and would certainly vote for it over anything besides openSUSE for these sorts of tests.

The reasons I picked openSUSE over Ubuntu is that OBS supports ARM and automatic vcs retrieval while PPA doesn't and Ubuntu doesn't have anything like SUSE Studio for creating bootable CD, DVD, or USB images.
      There are definitely PPAs for ARM, I'm not sure if you have to ask nicely though (I read long ago that there were no ARM PPAs because there was no ARM virtualisation platform, but given that it is easy to emulate ARM with qemu I'm sure that no longer applies).

Ubuntu has Ubuntu Customization Kit for building LiveCDs. It is also pretty easy to do manually (mount fs from livecd, chroot, customise, umount, squashfs). A custom install CD is also easy to do, you just need to add a preseed file with your package list.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
        XFCE is good but I'm not sure what it's future is since it's currently natively tied to Xorg by GTK2, and Xubuntu is currently primarily maintained by one man, which could be a problem in the future. It's a great distribution for older systems though.

I'm surprised Manjaro is getting 14% so far. I didn't think it was that popular; it only has 1,278 Facebook Likes which represents 0.1%. Same for openSUSE: 14% on here, 3.6% on Facebook.

Google Trends is probably a more accurate indicator of interest: ubuntu vs sabayon vs opensuse vs debian vs fedora

and xubuntu vs sabayon vs manjaro vs mint vs fedora
        1 Ubuntu has the Cash to Buy Facebook Likes, so they can pay a office full of tards to sit around and hit Like on FaceBook, a lot of companies do this
        2 showing thing's like Google Trends and Facebook Likes is a joke if you want i can post some like to show Ubuntu at 1% and there are some i can't post do to NDA's...

Comment

Why not Hannah Montana Linux!? as long as its not Ubuntu!

Comment

ok

ubuntu is not the best choice to represent linux, is the most popular but is to far away the other distros(upstart,mir,unity,adware,etc).
            I think fedora will be fine. The cuestion now is the desktop enviroment, because gnome sucks

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
              Ubuntu Linux: that?s a phone OS and company so it shouldn?t even be on the list.
              Sabayon / Gentoo-based: that could be a good one, but they use systemd so I don?t care about it.
              Manjaro / Arch-based: same as Sabayon.
              Xubuntu: Good one but still kinda Ubuntu unfortunately.
              openSUSE: systemd.
              Fedora: systemd.
              Mint: popular with new and less technical Linux users, but they don?t read Phoronix.
              Debian Sid: would be a great choice if they didn?t have extremely outdated packages (took them more than one year to update to Xfce 4.10).

Guess I?ll just vote Xubuntu for now.
              Mark did tell them to Work on the Phone part only...

Comment

Ubuntu Linux: that?s a phone OS and company so it shouldn?t even be on the list.
                Yeah, because nobody cares about mobile computing, Linux companies should ignore touch screen devices and there are no touch screen laptops...

Debian Sid: would be a great choice if they didn?t have extremely outdated packages (took them more than one year to update to Xfce 4.10).
                As I understand it, XFCE was a special case because they had to make sure the stable releases went through the correct sequence (4.6, 4.8, 4.10 ?) otherwise user data wouldn't get upgraded properly. They didn't want to risk that users upgrading from Debian 6.0 to Debian 7.0 would end up jumping multiple XFCE releases. Yeah, it kind of sucks, but XFCE project doesn't have many developers working on that kind of stuff, so if you don't like it then feel free to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  What are you trying to achieve? It's broken and it didn't work. It's such simple.

I've never had such a problem with Ubuntu/Kubuntu. By manual upgrade I meant yum upgrade.

What's so complicated in Ubuntu that doesn't allow you to install codecs and drivers easily? It finds codecs automatically whenever you want to play an unsupported file.
                  and if you don't have a license for them codecs it's illegal to use them in most places its called pirating i payed for license's in some case's it's not needed and did you see the 2ed reply to your post

Comment

XFCE is good but I'm not sure what it's future is since it's currently natively tied to Xorg by GTK2, and Xubuntu is currently primarily maintained by one man, which could be a problem in the future. It's a great distribution for older systems though.

I'm surprised Manjaro is getting 14% so far. I didn't think it was that popular; it only has 1,278 Facebook Likes which represents 0.1%. Same for openSUSE: 14% on here, 3.6% on Facebook.

Google Trends is probably a more accurate indicator of interest: ubuntu vs sabayon vs opensuse vs debian vs fedora

and xubuntu vs sabayon vs manjaro vs mint vs fedora
                    Despite claims otherwise, this is not a popularity contest, it's what Michael should use in tests by default.

Ubuntu has Ubuntu Customization Kit for building LiveCDs. It is also pretty easy to do manually (mount fs from livecd, chroot, customise, umount, squashfs). A custom install CD is also easy to do, you just need to add a preseed file with your package list.
                    It's still nowhere near as easy as SUSEStudio. It has a full web interface and a VNC for trying it out, too.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                      Why not Hannah Montana Linux!? as long as its not Ubuntu!
                      Hannah Montana Linux must be the only one you use.

Comment

Working...
                      X