Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    Fedora is on 23% so "once again is approved that majority does not care about fedora benchmarks" .
    Yep that is also true. There is no magic: i'll pick this and that should cover everything .

If Michael stick with Ubuntu he must know that vast majority is not covered, according to this vote pool (200+ votes right now) 70% of people will not be satisfied.
    Last edited by dungeon; 27 July 2013, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      Debian sid is just the rolling development release of Debian. It's not garbage, it's just the latest software, and yes, the latest software sometimes has bugs. But that is fine, because it's meant for developers, testers and power users. sid is not crazy bleeding edge (there is the experimental repository for that), sid is just the repository for the latest packages. If you run any other distribution that provides the latest packages, then you are effectively in the same situation.

What are you talking about? Ubuntu has Nvidia 319 which is the latest stable release. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/amd64/nvidia-319
      i Love how you cut up my post if you note i was calling Ubuntu that
      Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
      i was saying if Ubuntu dies no one care's we have all the package's we need to keep going From Debian Unstabe,+ Debian Unstable has a Shit load of Bug's in it thats why its called unstable, garbage, buggy, and, some obsolete software yes that is what Ubuntu is, that's why Ubuntu has no good Driver support and them Drivers on Ubuntu are so far out of Date it's not funny Nvidia 304 thats a joke
      and as for the Drivers thats not even released thats for saucy nice troll

Comment

My preference are Fedora/OpenSUSE on equal ground, but voted Fedora, due to been having more the habit of CentOS and Fedora, but I very much like OpenSUSE, but for learning reason, I find myself dodging it, has don't want to make myself rely on YaST, has that tool even if very nice, is sadly distro specific, so no good if I find myself in a work environment without it.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          Yep that is also true. There is no magic: i'll pick this and that should cover everything .

If Michael stick with Ubuntu he must know that vast majority is not covered, according to this vote pool (200+ votes right now) 70% of people will not be satisfied.
          Same is for Fedora or any other distribution in this vote. As long a distribution does not clearly get the majority of all votes, you can always argue that the majority won't be satisfied.

Comment

I think openSUSE would be the best option because it can be deployed and configured on any machine very fast and with any set of software. Phoronix authors can even make their own testing 'derivative' in SUSE Studio with all needed software included and available out-of-box (so readers can just download LiveUSB ISO and easily check test results for themselves).

Comment

bodhi linux + lubuntu

bodhi linux
              lubuntu

Comment

Manjaro / Arch-based ?
                Directly Arch.

Arch
                Debian
                OpenSUSE
                Fedora

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  look's like Mint users dont like Phoronix..
                  I think the number of mint users is greatly excessive.

Comment

Yea, I'd say that the choice should be made according to technical concerns, rather than popularity. While there are a lot of users voting for what in their opinion is the best benchmarking platform, as we saw in the last thread there are still a lot of users who just vote for their favourite. For one, I have no idea why Gentoo and Arch are even mentioned in this poll...

To make a reminder for everyone:
                    • Ubuntu is not a good benchmarking platform for the future, when it goes with Mir by default, since it would not be representative of the majority of Linux distributions.
                    • Fedora is a good choice in terms of being bleeding edge, thus a good benchmarking target, but its debug builds are a problem, even when you can install the nodebug kernel (since not only it has debugging on, as far as I know).
                    • openSUSE seems to be the best target overall, since it does not have the debug problem, has OBS that provides a variety of packages, and has SUSEStudio that allows creating snapshots of a system state in a LiveCD form, while also allowing for rapid deployment.
                    • Arch and Gentoo take too long to set up to be worth benchmarking, given Michael's limited time. The two options probably literally mean Sabayon and Manjaro, not the actual Gentoo and Arch.
                    • Debian Sid is a good choice in terms of not being as rock-stable as the main Debian, but its rolling-release status is problematic due to there being no reference point that would allow others to reproduce the results.
                    • Xubuntu and Mint are also good choices in terms of stability, although their future is still not set in stone. It's also not clear if Mint means Ubuntu Mint or Debian Mint, but presumably it's the former.

Quite frankly I'm surprised that Xubuntu and Mint got so low votes.

Originally posted by glasen View Post
                    Same is for Fedora or any other distribution in this vote. As long a distribution does not clearly get the majority of all votes, you can always argue that the majority won't be satisfied.
                    Unless there is a second round with only two options, in which case one of them will get more or equal to 50%. Or it could be two options and a "neither" option to see how many people are actually not satisfied with either option. Because overall it seems that people have priority lists, and even if the third from their list wins, they will still be satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X