Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
    The problem with your logic is that the "<50% bar" also applies to every non-Ubuntu distribution. Every distribution has a current poll score of less than 50%. So, by that logic, "most people do not give a rats ass" about any Linux distribution.
    You must take two steps back and look for the common denominator. In this respect the MIR distribution is really a non-important distribution. In fact, MIR is the whole reason for this poll to start with. Thw whole poll boils down to MIR vs. the rest, and the rest is winning by huge margins.

Comment

Long and short term

In the short term continue using Ubuntu.
      In the long term (post-Mir) use Xubuntu, Kubuntu or Mint. Perhaps latest Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
        So, Ubuntu is garbage buggy obsolete software, but is just a copy of Debian Unstable.
        i was saying if Ubuntu dies no one care's we have all the package's we need to keep going From Debian Unstabe,+ Debian Unstable has a Shit load of Bug's in it thats why its called unstable, garbage, buggy, and, some obsolete software yes that is what Ubuntu is, that's why Ubuntu has no good Driver support and them Drivers on Ubuntu are so far out of Date it's not funny Nvidia 304 thats a joke

Comment

My preferences

My Preferences Are:
          1- ubuntu
          2- openSUSE
          3- Fedora

Comment

I think the question is not really about the distro, because many complaints here about benchmarks on Ubuntu (including those from myself) are not about the distro itself, but rather about it's "default" configuration that is used for benchmarks. As long as any linux distro already is a non-default OS, I don't think it's a problem for most linux enthusiasts that are really interested in performance (particularly 3D performance) to apply a couple of well-known non-default configuration options that allow to achieve best results.

When people are really interested in performance so that they come to see benchmarks here, I think they'd prefer to see maximum performance that they can achieve with their (future) hardware just by toggling some checkboxes and adding few lines to config files, not the performance in some suboptimal "default" configuration that they probably won't use anyway.

As for the poll, I voted for Fedora because in my opinion it's better suited for bleeding edge benchmarks, I'm using it for development as well, though it's just a personal opinion. Anyway I think Fedora is more representative of the linux world than Ubuntu just because it doesn't use any unique Fedora-only things like its own DE etc, it's rather the opposite - many innovations that appear in Fedora are usually going into other distros as well. So I think almost any other distro probably has more in common with Fedora than with Ubuntu.

Comment

Hi, guys

I have just created my account.
              I have been lurking on phoronix for more than a year, so hi.

I gave my vote for Fedora, but that's not my final opinion.
              The diffirence in distros are minimal so i think it is not that big deal, as long as the benchmarks are running on X server.
              My reason for not going for Ubuntu is that it is going to have Mir by default.

P.S: I am using Arch, and i think it is not good idea to do benchmarks on Arch (not eaven Manjaro, it is just not stable)

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                I like what i see for the first 100 votes, ubuntu+xubuntu are just 30% of all votes. That clearly means something - majority does not care about *buntus .
                As of first 200 votes, ubuntu+xubuntu again is on 30% level and once again is approved that majority does not care about ubuntu benchmarks .

Comment

I use Arch but voted for Fedora.

A "prepackaged" distro is more suitable for testing than a distro that can be whatever you want, and Fedora is quite standard, up to date, uses mostly unmodified upstreams, has spins with most popular DEs...

Ubuntu seems to me the worst option now because of Mir.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    Debian Unstable has a Shit load of Bug's in it thats why its called unstable, garbage, buggy, and, some obsolete software
                    Debian sid is just the rolling development release of Debian. It's not garbage, it's just the latest software, and yes, the latest software sometimes has bugs. But that is fine, because it's meant for developers, testers and power users. sid is not crazy bleeding edge (there is the experimental repository for that), sid is just the repository for the latest packages. If you run any other distribution that provides the latest packages, then you are effectively in the same situation.

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                    yes that is what Ubuntu is, that's why Ubuntu has no good Driver support and them Drivers on Ubuntu are so far out of Date it's not funny Nvidia 304 thats a joke
                    What are you talking about? Ubuntu has Nvidia 319 which is the latest stable release. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/saucy/amd64/nvidia-319

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      As of first 200 votes, ubuntu+xubuntu again is on 30% level and once again is approved that majority does not care about ubuntu benchmarks .
                      Fedora is on 23% so "once again is approved that majority does not care about fedora benchmarks" .

Comment

Working...
                      X