No announcement yet.

Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23.36% prefer Ubuntu. That is too high in my opinion... Ubuntu is garbage... It is full of bugs, obsolete software, and is not even a GNU/Linux distribution anymore, it is becoming more and more like Android...

I am an Arch user and of course would like to see benchmarks using Arch. The reason is that it is one of the closer to upstream distributions. And it is up-to-date. It is also quite customizable and Michael can test many things using the same installation...

But if i had to choose a more standard distribution, i would pick Fedora...

PS:Let us hope Shuttleworth won't unleash his professional trolls to vote for Ubuntu...

Comment

If any distro arrive to 50%, would be good to repite the poll but only with the 2 distros more voted

Comment

Some distros make it easier to install individual pieces of bleeding-edge software while keeping the existing stable base for everything else by offering packages for this software. Some distros have better support for the range of software and configurations tested at Phoronix than others. Some distros make it easier to quickly test multiple different software configurations.
        The choice could be so easy:

When testing hardware components Phoronix should stick to a distribution that doesn't change its software components every six months (e.g. CentOS, SL, Ubuntu LTS or other longtime supported distributions). Otherwise it is nearly impossible to make a fair comparision between the tested components.

When testing improvements of Mesa or the related drivers, Phoronix should choose a distribution which delivers these components in its latest version or, at least, it should make it possible to update to the latest versions very easily. To allow a comparision it must be possible to run the benchmark with older version of the components. Otherwise the comparision is totally useless.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
          but also majority of phoronix readers does not care about Ubuntu ... TRUE
          Not necessarily. The majority think that a different distro would be a better default test platform (if they're voting objectively and understand what they're voting for, which I highly doubt based on the comments in the relevant threads). For example, I didn't vote for opensuse, but that doesn't mean I "don't care" about opensuse or want phoronix to stop covering it.

Comment

Just helped Fedora get the lead. A distribution that I don't even use but I think it's a good base for somewhat bleeding-edge and curated Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
              Originally posted by dungeon
              Yep, voting is funny . That IS situation Michael have even before this voting:

Ubuntu is single majority, but also majority of phoronix readers does not care about Ubuntu - both are TRUE
              Which translate into most people do not give rats ass about *buntus, but do care about the main stack of software sitting on top of the Linux kernel.
              The problem with your logic is that the "<50% bar" also applies to every non-Ubuntu distribution. Every distribution has a current poll score of less than 50%. So, by that logic, "most people do not give a rats ass" about any Linux distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                23.36% prefer Ubuntu. That is too high in my opinion... Ubuntu is garbage... It is full of bugs, obsolete software, and is not even a GNU/Linux distribution anymore, it is becoming more and more like Android...

I am an Arch user and of course would like to see benchmarks using Arch. The reason is that it is one of the closer to upstream distributions. And it is up-to-date. It is also quite customizable and Michael can test many things using the same installation...

But if i had to choose a more standard distribution, i would pick Fedora...

PS:Let us hope Shuttleworth won't unleash his professional trolls to vote for Ubuntu...
                looks like he did

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                  looks like he did
                  Yeah, I'm sure there's no vote canvassing going on.

Comment

I expect a second round, with a reduced number of options.
                    That might be a good idea. Pick the first and second place and remove all the others.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                      Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      all based off from Debian Unstable....
                      So, Ubuntu is garbage buggy obsolete software, but is just a copy of Debian Unstable.

Comment

Working...
                      X