Vote On A Distribution For Linux Benchmarking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
    Hannah Montana Linux must be the only one you use.
    i Vote for this

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      There are definitely PPAs for ARM, I'm not sure if you have to ask nicely though (I read long ago that there were no ARM PPAs because there was no ARM virtualisation platform, but given that it is easy to emulate ARM with qemu I'm sure that no longer applies).
      Although technically you can build on an emulated ARM system, it isn't considered a supported architecture, and ordinary users can't use it. You need to ask for special permission, have a good reason, and you can only do a small numbers of short builds, so it is not really public, defeating the purpose of PPAs. And it is emulated rather than a native build. On OBS, however, anyone can use ARM for anything they want. And OBS doesn't use emulation, either, it builds directly on ARM-based boards.

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
      Ubuntu has Ubuntu Customization Kit for building LiveCDs. It is also pretty easy to do manually (mount fs from livecd, chroot, customise, umount, squashfs). A custom install CD is also easy to do, you just need to add a preseed file with your package list.
      That is pretty manual too. It is basically a local tool for adding or removing debs from an individual downloaded CD image, rather than a tool to build and distribute your own ISO or USB image from scratch using PPA/OBS. So no USB disk images, no virtual machine images, no publishing your test system online for others to use, no easy updates to the image from online repos, it doesn't even support multiple architectures. So not really comparable

Comment

Yeah!

Comment

Yeah!

and the best part is she's legal now (look's around)

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
            Ubuntu Linux: that?s a phone OS and company so it shouldn?t even be on the list.
            Sabayon / Gentoo-based: that could be a good one, but they use systemd so I don?t care about it.
            Manjaro / Arch-based: same as Sabayon.
            Xubuntu: Good one but still kinda Ubuntu unfortunately.
            openSUSE: systemd.
            Fedora: systemd.
            Mint: popular with new and less technical Linux users, but they don?t read Phoronix.
            Debian Sid: would be a great choice if they didn?t have extremely outdated packages (took them more than one year to update to Xfce 4.10).

Guess I?ll just vote Xubuntu for now.
            This isn't about what you care about. This is about the most appropriate test bed-distro. Systemd is becoming the standard for every major or semi-major distro except Ubuntu and its derivatives. Systemd should be wished for in this case, not avoided.

Comment

Hannah Montana Linux must be the only one you use.
              at least I don't measure PC consumption in kilowatts

Comment

you need to do a Hannah Montana OS VS Rebecca Black OS VS Justin Bieber Linux Tests ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by justvotingimalurker View Post
                  ITT:

People voting for their distro of choice (no matter how obscure) and feeling self-righteous and smug about how much they hate the child-killing Ubuntu.

Gotta love this tabloid.
                  One of the only reasons I come back here. These nut jobs are hilarious. I've been telling myself for years that I should make a blog which focuses on the ridiculous stuff people say related to FOSS software with a focus on the Phoronix forums. Of coarse, the fact that Michael would sue me has kept me from doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by verde View Post
                    at least I don't measure PC consumption in kilowatts
                    We don't measure our energy usage in watts, we do it using something called kilowatthours (kWh). My system under full load uses 1kW every 2 hours and every 2 hours is 1kWh of energy usage.

Comment

• Originally posted by LinuxGamer View Post
                      and if you don't have a license for them codecs it's illegal to use them in most places its called pirating i payed for license's in some case's it's not needed and did you see the 2ed reply to your post
                      So, do you suggest I shouldn't listen to music that comes in mp3 format or something? By most places you meant what? I don't see a second reply to my post, could you point me to it?

PS. Just don't try to advertise Fedora's stupid policy as an advantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X