Soliciting Feedback On The New Phoronix Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about that... With AdBlockers it's hard enough making enough money just for making this my full-time focus. But for Linux focus, it's hard enough finding relevant advertisers, period. Most of the ads on the site end up being for Windows or Oracle or other areas because there aren't too many Linux hardware focused companies catering towards enthusiasts.
    What about those that have paid for the premium version? 90% of the time I access Phoronix I get ads, the session seems to last five minutes after accessing the Phoronix forums.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
      What about those that have paid for the premium version? 90% of the time I access Phoronix I get ads, the session seems to last five minutes after accessing the Phoronix forums.
      The only known bug is the cookie login issue. After that, as long as your browser is using cookies and your browser session is active, you shouldn't be served ads.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Choice

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        I actually thourght it was a bit of a problem. On my 1280x1024 it's ok, but on any wide screencomputer I use it's a real pain. Also has any one else had issues with Chrome on Android sizeing the font differenly from post to post, some are readable with out zoom others are miniscule.
        Just make the browser window narrower! Why do you buy wide screens when you hate wide screens anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          The only known bug is the cookie login issue. After that, as long as your browser is using cookies and your browser session is active, you shouldn't be served ads.
          I'm using Firefox with defauit configs.
          phoronix.com/forums always remember my session and I rarely have to re-login. But the home page and articles always show ads, I have to open the forums and then reload the home page or article to get it ad-free.

edit: The same issue described here http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ter-than-forum
          Last edited by talvik; 05 July 2013, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I think the redesign looks just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Stop being lazy again! Eye movement is good. Wasted screen space is not.
              A small CPL will give you atleast the same eye movement as a wide line would, but at some point you start having to do head movement to read them.

Comment

I prefer the current layout (honestly I think the new one sucks), but please move the left ad to the right (or at least align the title with the body).
                Last edited by darkbasic; 05 July 2013, 04:11 PM.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

subscriber request

Michael,

As a subscriber I'm asking you to do one thing:

Add login screen on the home page http://www.phoronix.com with a "Remember me" check box. Basically, every tech blog site has one pretty much on every page, including the home page. Right now, I have to go to the forums, login from there and then go to phoronix home page. It's just too much hassle, since I don't care about posting in forums. I just want to read the articles without ads.

Thanks.
                  Last edited by Anarchy; 05 July 2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                    Michael,

As a subscriber I'm asking you to do one thing:

Add login screen on the home page http://www.phoronix.com with a "Remember me" check box. Basically, every tech blog site has one pretty much on every page, including the home page. Right now, I have to go to the forums, login from there and then go to phoronix home page. It's just too much hassle, since I don't care about posting in forums. I just want to read the articles without ads.

Thanks.
                    +1

10 char

Comment

The content section is way too wide. Optimal reading length is around 70-80 characters for english text. Don't let the articles expand beyond that horizontally, otherwise its hard for your eyes to jump to the next line.

Comment

Working...
                      X