Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eltomito View Post
    Hi!

I would appreciate if the page covered 100% of the browser window width.

If somebody finds wide text hard to read - well, they can always make the window narrower. I prefer to see all the contents I can see without having to scroll the page - obviously, as long as the layout isn't too cluttered and guides the eye with pleasing graphics design.

BTW, I turned off AdBlock on Phoronix after reading a request from the phoronix author that the readers should do so and the site looks really ugly with ads. I guess all sites would look ugly with ads. They are so annoying! But yeah, they pay for the sites' existence. It would be great if AdBlock had an option to download the ads (so that advertisers are happy) but not annoy me with them (so that I am happy, too). Hell, I should just suggest this to the author of AdBlock.
    I can't find a single tech/news site that spans the article 100% width.

Comment

mixed feelings about this new design.

- the screenshots are definitely too wide, it's weird to see text lines so long
      - a sample of the Premium version would indeed be nice, the "ad agression" on the screenshots is disturbing
      - the new logo is quite "edgy", I like the current "curvy" one better.

honestly I too don't see much "better" things that in the current design.
      One thing that the current one could benefit from : have a bit wider central (article) area, especially when being in full screen on a desktop for example,
      but not as much as in the new design where it's too much, a happy medium needs to be found I think.

Comment

Originally posted by talvik View Post
        I can't find a single tech/news site that spans the article 100% width.
        Well then, maybe doing that would be an actual innovation

What I meant was that the blank space on the sides of the phoronix pages is just wasted screen space. Of course I didn't mean the actual article
        should span 100% of the window width. You have the side column there as well and - yes - the beloved ads. What I meant was that phoronix could let the users decide how wide they want the pages to be.

Comment

I actually quite like the way articles are right now. Makes it look more like one block of text instead of lines that stretch all across the screen.

Comment

1. In the third screenshot, the list of articles has one column at the top, and two at the bottom, not very pleasing to the eye
            2. I would strongly recommend automatic linking of articles to Openbenchmarking results, when benchmarks are published. Sometimes you manually link, which adds a lot of value, and sometimes you don't
            3. The number and flashiness of animated ads makes it look a bit amateurish. Ads are needed, and it's a great way to support the work you do. But it's important for them to look neat and professional.

Cheers!

Comment

Way to wide for comftable reading, for book you normaly try to go for a 65 x charector width. Also it make an odd jump with the ad shifting the text left margin but not the head line. Probably will also look odd with an article that extends beound the ad. Other then that it looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                1. In the third screenshot, the list of articles has one column at the top, and two at the bottom, not very pleasing to the eye

Hopefully you visit Phoronix more than once every three days and then won't have to worry about the bi-column. It's for content older than three days old on the home page.

1. I would strongly recommend automatic linking of articles to Openbenchmarking results, when benchmarks are published. Sometimes you manually link, which adds a lot of value, and sometimes you don't

It's always done if using the SVG version of the graphs, click the icon or title.

1. The number and flashiness of animated ads makes it look a bit amateurish. Ads are needed, and it's a great way to support the work you do. But it's important for them to look neat and professional.
                Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about that... With AdBlockers it's hard enough making enough money just for making this my full-time focus. But for Linux focus, it's hard enough finding relevant advertisers, period. Most of the ads on the site end up being for Windows or Oracle or other areas because there aren't too many Linux hardware focused companies catering towards enthusiasts.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The Format Of This Forum Speaks In Favor Of Wide Pages

The articles in this forum are formatted pretty wide, stretching almost the entire width of the full-screen firefox window and I haven't seen anybody complaining about having a hard time reading them.

I think this is a solid practical argument in favor of using the full width of the browser window as opposed to leaving silly blank strips on the sides.

Comment

The articles in this forum are formatted pretty wide, stretching almost the entire width of the full-screen firefox window and I haven't seen anybody complaining about having a hard time reading them.

I think this is a solid practical argument in favor of using the full width of the browser window as opposed to leaving silly blank strips on the sides.
                    I actually thourght it was a bit of a problem. On my 1280x1024 it's ok, but on any wide screencomputer I use it's a real pain. Also has any one else had issues with Chrome on Android sizeing the font differenly from post to post, some are readable with out zoom others are miniscule.

Comment

Originally posted by pijanakrava View Post
                      - the screenshots are definitely too wide, it's weird to see text lines so long
                      Indeed. What were they taken on, a Retina display?

Hi!

I would appreciate if the page covered 100% of the browser window width.

If somebody finds wide text hard to read - well, they can always make the window narrower. I prefer to see all the contents I can see without having to scroll the page - obviously, as long as the layout isn't too cluttered and guides the eye with pleasing graphics design.
                      I agree.

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                      Its less eye movement and just looks more concise.
                      Stop being lazy again! Eye movement is good. Wasted screen space is not.

I was about to say that, yeah.

Well then, maybe doing that would be an actual innovation

What I meant was that the blank space on the sides of the phoronix pages is just wasted screen space. Of course I didn't mean the actual article
                      should span 100% of the window width. You have the side column there as well and - yes - the beloved ads. What I meant was that phoronix could let the users decide how wide they want the pages to be.
                      Actually, what I do on my website is have a theme chooser. The default theme is centred, another theme is full width, and a third theme is a "midnight" dark one. Something like that would be nice.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done about that... With AdBlockers it's hard enough making enough money just for making this my full-time focus. But for Linux focus, it's hard enough finding relevant advertisers, period. Most of the ads on the site end up being for Windows or Oracle or other areas because there aren't too many Linux hardware focused companies catering towards enthusiasts.
                      I actually get Novell ads every now and then. Pretty cool. I wonder why Red Hat don't advertise themselves (at least that I have seen).

Comment

Working...
                      X