Phoronix.com Turns Nine Years Old, PTS Turns Five

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Phoronix/PTS!!!

You've taken the top spot on my list of visited sites, possibly tied with the mesa-dev archives.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Phoronix.

I first started coming here for news about the (vapourware) Unreal Tournament 3 client and often got side tracked with much more interesting things while here. Now I check the headlines several times a day. Always something to read that keeps me from getting work done

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
        I think it's unfair to use adblock with a full pre-defined ruleset as it deprives sites you enjoy of revenue.

Although I use adblock I only selectively block ads when they are so intrusive they make a site unusable.
        Ads are annoying, intrusive, are a vector for malware, and track your browsing behaviour. I enable certain ads that I know are unintrusive and don't track my movements, but ad networks like adsense and stuff like that are just a risk to security and privacy. I'd much rather give sites I like small bitcoin donations now and then than watch annoying animated gifs and <shudder> flash minigames. A static clickable banner with no moving parts, only images/text, that'd be fine. Everything else needs to go away yesterday.

I wish there was a way to "trick" the ads so that they would be loaded to memory, so that they think they're being displayed, but wouldn't actually show up on the browser. That'd be a cool way to get a clean browsing experience and support good sites at the same time. Now someone should just implement that as a firefox plugin...

Comment

Congrats Michael!

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
          a pretty remarkable run, when many other linux-centric sites have failed or got lost (linuxdevices, I'm looking at you by way of example).
          You know it returned as linuxgizmos right?

Comment

Thanks guys!
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Rock on, Michael

Comment

What will the next nine years look like? It's exciting to wonder!

Congrats Michael, and thanks for all the hard work.
                I may be negative sometimes, but your work definitely changed the linux landscape for the better. If you're ever in Portugal, there's a beer with your name on it.

Really glad to be member #18 in the forums

Comment

Happy Birthday Phoronix.com! Congrats Michael! Keep up good job!

Sorry for late.

Comment

Working...
                  X