Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
    Eact time I go phoronix with my droid, I get a full screen system looking page telling that my browser memory is full and I need to download an app to clean. No way to exit this intrusive aD except pressing back and go phoronix a second time.

Thanks to that, I just found that adblockplus support the android browser
    Those types of ad redirects are very common with malware. As in, your phone might have an app with malicious code embedded.

I'm saying this because I have never once gotten one of those page redirects.

Comment

Great. Now there's a pop-up with close advertisement now.

Comment

Just got an overlay-type popup on http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTYzNTc
        It's a doubleclick ad in a div id="welcome_screen"

Comment

Originally posted by Fry-kun View Post
          Just got an overlay-type popup on http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTYzNTc
          It's a doubleclick ad in a div id="welcome_screen"
          That one is expected and will appear just once an hour for certain geographies. It's a welcome screen ad that was specially crafted for Phoronix as relevant, received my permission, and is doing a whole lot to help out the site.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Does clicking on the "Amazon" link to get to any Amazon page benefit Phoronix?

From time to time I have a need to go to some site on Amazon's server. Does making a habit of getting there by clicking the Amazon hyperlink on the Phoronix front page as a starting point send any funds to Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
              From time to time I have a need to go to some site on Amazon's server. Does making a habit of getting there by clicking the Amazon hyperlink on the Phoronix front page as a starting point send any funds to Michael?
              Yes, a percentage of sales after clicking that Phoronix Amazon link helps out the site.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

Insane number of ads

The number of ads makes mobile browsing horrible. Your website used to be ok, not anymore. The lower screen ads are the most annoying. They simply don't keep up with screen scrolling on my older phone. Is this all necessary?

4 ads:

Ahhh, another ad underneath, thats 5 ads.

This is why I run adblock on my desktop. This is why my next phone will run some Android version, with adblock.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tgui View Post
                  The number of ads makes mobile browsing horrible. Your website used to be ok, not anymore. The lower screen ads are the most annoying. They simply don't keep up with screen scrolling on my older phone. Is this all necessary?

This is why I run adblock on my desktop. Tis is why my next phone will run some Android version, with adblock.....
                  The overlay ads shouldn't be layering up like that, but aside from that, yes, that number of ads is necessary to compensate because of other people using AdBlock...
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    The overlay ads shouldn't be layering up like that, but aside from that, yes, that number of ads is necessary to compensate because of other people using AdBlock...
                    Invasive ads are the primary reason why I keep switching back to adblock. Every so often I turn it off and run the site with ads for a while -- but then something gets me really annoyed and I switch it back on.
                    This time it was the overlay ad popping up every hour (which means every article if I open one every few hours).
                    You have to remember that it's not the case that everyone is either completely tolerant of all ads or not tolerant at all; there are lots of gradations inbetween. If you want to get more eyeballs for the ads, you have to give users a choice to tune it up or down. You've already done it by removing Kontera inline ads from logged in users. What if you improve on that idea? Give logged in user a choice to turn off the more annoying ads, but encourage leaving more ads enabled by some small incentive. Maybe buy a beer once a month for the user who had most ads viewed :P

Comment

• Originally posted by Fry-kun View Post
                      You have to remember that it's not the case that everyone is either completely tolerant of all ads or not tolerant at all; there are lots of gradations inbetween. If you want to get more eyeballs for the ads, you have to give users a choice to tune it up or down. You've already done it by removing Kontera inline ads from logged in users. What if you improve on that idea? Give logged in user a choice to turn off the more annoying ads, but encourage leaving more ads enabled by some small incentive. Maybe buy a beer once a month for the user who had most ads viewed :P
                      It can't be easily tracked what individual user has the most ad views in a given month, even the IP information I don't have access to for ad impressions. In terms of the ad that appears hourly, that actually yields a bulk of the ad income for Phoronix. That once-per-hour ad is literally providing 20x the revenue of any other standard ad unit on the site. On days such an ad campaign is running, you see more, properly-written, thorough content on the site, etc than when those campaigns are not running. (edit: And it's also directly from those extra funds from that campaign where I make purchases for new graphics cards when needed and other Linux review hardware.)
                      Last edited by Michael; 24 March 2014, 05:48 PM.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X