No announcement yet.

Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw, WD mybook is crappy device. I has crippled down linux running on arm, with software placed on disk itself running in XFS. This means, if it breaks, you cannot mount it in ro on your x86 linux without breaking it completely. Already THREE wd my book broken and scavaged by me.

Comment

Appropriate advertising?

I don't know if this is my fault or not, but I am sure this kind of advertising is not appropriate:

Comment

I'm trying to view ads on Phoronix, really I am. I've disabled both adblock and noscript on Phoronix, and still the ads won't show (they do show up on my Android phone though). So... get a better ad system.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
          I'm trying to view ads on Phoronix, really I am. I've disabled both adblock and noscript on Phoronix, and still the ads won't show (they do show up on my Android phone though). So... get a better ad system.
          What browser/platform are you running?
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            What browser/platform are you running?
            Firefox 22.0 on Mint 13. I also have DNTme plugin which blocks tracking, which I really don't want to disable because of NSA.

Comment

Firefox 22.0 on Mint 13. I also have DNTme plugin which blocks tracking, which I really don't want to disable because of NSA.
              You do realize that you get tracked anyway? All your computer info, web browser info, geographical location and IP address are all stored whenever you visit a website and can easily be seen with web stats inside control panels (like cPanel)?

Also, satellites that can see the pores on your face in high definition.

Comment

Originally posted by synaptix View Post
                You do realize that you get tracked anyway? All your computer info, web browser info, geographical location and IP address are all stored whenever you visit a website and can easily be seen with web stats inside control panels (like cPanel)?

Also, satellites that can see the pores on your face in high definition.
                You should revise your own knowledge before you post FUD like this.

In USA the fourth Amendment is overridden by court rule-out that is periodically updated (Snowden case) and constitutes the mass data mining and profiling. This has nothing to do with optical magnifiers on distinctive satellites. This can only record on per-case basis and only at specific time - they can't mass survive and they do per-case.

All the tracking information that is commercially used are submitted to NSA anyway, by using anti-tracking plugins this is prevented. Social networking are dual-blade theme and are not related here. Only ISP-based tracking till first gateway is mass-saved, but it was already revealed by Snowden. Phones and other communications (skype, cell etc) are mass saved, but also revealed. This has nothing to do with individual searches that are legal under judgement rule-outs in ANY country as required to combat crime.

So stop derailing the thread!

As of original question, I, sadly, started to block phoronix recently. I guess I will have to make donation, as the quality of Ads is always somehow pro-microsoft and I am tracked by at least 14 trackers (up to 32) on this site. Just writing it up sincerely, I value what Michael does so the quality and state of Ads really worry me.
                Last edited by brosis; 06 August 2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

There are situations in which no trackers are safe

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  All the tracking information that is commercially used are submitted to NSA anyway, by using anti-tracking plugins this is prevented. Social networking are dual-blade theme and are not related here. Only ISP-based tracking till first gateway is mass-saved, but it was already revealed by Snowden. Phones and other communications (skype, cell etc) are mass saved, but also revealed. This has nothing to do with individual searches that are legal under judgement rule-outs in ANY country as required to combat crime.

So stop derailing the thread!

As of original question, I, sadly, started to block phoronix recently. I guess I will have to make donation, as the quality of Ads is always somehow pro-microsoft and I am tracked by at least 14 trackers (up to 32) on this site. Just writing it up sincerely, I value what Michael does so the quality and state of Ads really worry me.
                  For activist computer users like myself, no tracking servers or 3ed party ad servers can be allowed access. Since a 2008 police raid that stole an encrypted computer from me but got no useful information for the other side, I have taken computer security very seriously. It's no longer enough to block 3ed party cookies, hasn't been for years. Third party content, ad or otherwise, must always be considered dangerous in a world of pervasive record-keeping. "Cookieless tracking" and browser/device fingerprinting are on the rise. Iovation, Bluecava, Scout Analytics, several other firms, and possibly Google are building device "credit history" databases. Supercookies and Flash cookies have been around for years. All of this can be blocked.

To all owners of monetized websites: you could serve ads without serving the NSA and the FBI. Use your primary server as a proxy, and do not attempt to track users. You could have your front page updated every few minutes with a new jpg image that would be a paid banner ad, fetched from your advertiser's usual servers and cached on your own server. The image is an HTML link to the advertiser's own site. Might be possible to make the image and link always have the same name and destination, with the locally-cached image thus always having the same name, and updating the secondary HTML link like would be done in /etc/alternatives in Ubuntu, that would remove any need to dicker with the front page itself. If I wanted to run rotating public service announcements with big images and bold text at the top of an activist website, this is exactly how I would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    To all owners of monetized websites: you could serve ads without serving the NSA and the FBI. Use your primary server as a proxy, and do not attempt to track users. You could have your front page updated every few minutes with a new jpg image that would be a paid banner ad, fetched from your advertiser's usual servers and cached on your own server. The image is an HTML link to the advertiser's own site. Might be possible to make the image and link always have the same name and destination, with the locally-cached image thus always having the same name, and updating the secondary HTML link like would be done in /etc/alternatives in Ubuntu, that would remove any need to dicker with the front page itself. If I wanted to run rotating public service announcements with big images and bold text at the top of an activist website, this is exactly how I would do it.
                    Hear hear! It would also be smart monetarily speaking, since by hosting the ads so that they come from the same server as the rest of the page, as simple images with clickable links in them, adblockers wouldn't be able to block them unless you decide to click them away one at a time. It'd be a win-win solution.

Also, flash ads (or anything with annoying animation or minigames) need to be shunned to all hell.

Someone needs to start up a internet ad agency that respects user privacy and doesn't do data mining. I'm sure many sites would be interested in the service, and advertisers could be attracted to a form of advertising that can't easily be blocked. They couldn't show targeted ads anymore, but that's kind of cheating anyway, they should do their damn jobs and find out where it pays to advertise, just like in every other media.

Comment

Hear hear! It would also be smart monetarily speaking, since by hosting the ads so that they come from the same server as the rest of the page, as simple images with clickable links in them, adblockers wouldn't be able to block them unless you decide to click them away one at a time. It'd be a win-win solution.
                      Yep. I don't mind advertising (other than animated stuff that my internet connection can't keep up with) but I hate going to a well managed web site and having the otherwise fast web page response stuck behind slow ad servers.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X