No announcement yet.

Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a premium subscriber, but at work I read without signing in (and can't install an adblocker). Lately, there have been unskippable ads for AAA that cover the entire screen; there's an X in the corner but it doesn't work.

Any way to stop them?

Comment

• Originally posted by CarVac View Post
      I'm a premium subscriber, but at work I read without signing in (and can't install an adblocker). Lately, there have been unskippable ads for AAA that cover the entire screen; there's an X in the corner but it doesn't work.

Any way to stop them?
      When you are logging into the forums are you checking on the 'remember me' box?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• I'm specifically *not* logging in at work.

Comment

• If you aren't logging in, there isn't a way to bypass it but is set to show up to 1 time per 24 hour period for that large ad.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• What's with the ad that impinge the content. I am a subscriber but links from Twitter don't always oasis the premium site. The last article I read that way had an ad that kept adding a white border that came in from 3 sides, covering over the text as it did, trying to force you to read and click the ad. The x to close moved with it, just adding to the annoyance. Plus it kept doing this every few seconds.

I'm not surprised that people block ads if that's what's out there.

Comment

• Site should dial back a bit with the ads for non-premiums, truly. Content is literally unreadable on smartphone because all you can see are endless ads, sometimes covering entire screen (ad visible on bottom, top and middle at the same time)

I get you have to make revenue somehow but current amount of advertising is more than anything driving users off towards using adblock or simply not visiting at all

Comment

• Also composing forum messages both on Firefox desktop and mobile is made much harder by the ads that force scrollIntoView(), and other ads cover the composer.

Comment

• I understand the need for revenue, but the site is nearly unusable with these ads. Videos, popups, and all manner of things blocking the screen constantly vying for attention. What ever happened to discreet banners or interstitial ads? Whatever place you have serving up ads is just terrible.

I won't use adblock when checking in on the site from my phone, but honestly I won't be allowing those ads anywhere near my home computer or anything in production. I just feel incredibly uncomfortable trusting whoever it is serving you ads. Many of them do seem to be AdSense... and it being Google doesn't really make me MORE comfortable, if you know what I mean.

Comment

• Let's not forgot malware served through ad networks. If I allowed ads on the same computer holding my encrypted raw video files (after getting away with publicly defying that 2018 grand jury subpeona for some of them), I would be placing the safety of the protesters whose actions I cover at significant risk.

Comment

• The scrollIntoView() problem is still occuring and is super annoying.

And non-dismissible floating ads cover content, and even the area below the ad is now covered by a layer which makes it impossible to interact with the website in that area.
                      I understand the need for Phoronix to make money with ads, and I have a high tolerance for this, but letting ads run out of control like that is just driving people to use ad blockers.

Last edited by chithanh; 22 May 2023, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X