X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• azdaha
    replied
    Thanks for the response, Michael.
    I had done that at the time, and that wasn't the problem. I suspect that the discrepancy stemmed from waiting for the payment to clear. That's just my assumption, no real insight; however, given it makes sense, given the short amount of time after which the phoronix sites started to display as intended for a subscriber (i.e. without ads).

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Hi and welcome to the forums. When logging into your premium account, also make sure you check the 'remember me' box to ensure the site remembers you as premium.

Leave a comment:

• azdaha
    replied
    My previous message can be disregarded, as the ads were removed after some time; roughly 20-30 mins.
    Sorry for posting again right after another of my own messages, but I'm not able to edit or see my previous post.
    I'm assuming this is a safeguard against spam for new users.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work, please!

Leave a comment:

• azdaha
    replied
    While I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask or to point this out, I'll post this here, since this post thread remained open for comments while being stuck at the top of the "Site Discussion" forum.

I have just signed up for a subscription to Phoronix, as I had found myself coming here many times over, what seems like, a very long time to get extremely valuable information to Linux users.
    However, I'm confused now to see the ads and their placeholders remain even after I had registered as a "subscribed" user.
    Is this intentional, expected, or otherwise known behaviour or did I misunderstand the purpose of and the benefits provided by a paid subscription to Phoronix?

*NOTE:* I tried to attach screenshot of the page view with ads and placeholders, but it seems I don't have permissions to do so.

Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Apokalypz
    replied
    So, I whitelisted phoronix for a few days and got a full page ad. If you get the ads fixed so they are not intrusive, let me know, in the meantime I'm removing the whitelist on my blocker.

Leave a comment:

• Apokalypz
    replied
    I was just thinking about using a hosts file ad block app because of all the intrusive type ads lately. I'm just so done with it, I avoid certain sites because they basically hijack my tab until I close it. Though I've never really had an ad issue on phoronix...until now.

One of those ads that loads the page in binary format popped up here tonight. One of those ads that takes you to another site with your ISPs info on it and shows a huge alert window basically saying "You have a few viruses, install our virus to remove them." Tapping back just reloads the page, so there is no way out without killing the tab. At first I thought this kind of ad had to be an exploit in my local cache picked up from some janky website, but it happened once on the first page I visited after doing a wipe and complete device reflash.

As Michael probably uses an ad service to display the ads for him (no individual sponsorships) it would be the ad provider's fault for not filtering well enough. Despite that, I'm just done with these damn ads. When I install the blocker, I'll see what I can do about white listing phoronix but I don't think it's possible with a hosts level blocker.

Leave a comment:

• araxth
    replied
    Hey Michael, i don't mind ads on Phoronix (in a select list of services) but in my case Adblock is installed at router level (Tomato..). I can't (in fact, don't want to) fully disable it but i can white-list your ads domain as an exception. Any chance you can provide this information?

Thanks,
    a.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruediix View Post

United states, I copied the whole HTML of the ad here:
    https://pastebin.com/yHsBd2sx

Sorry about misspelling Phoronix on the title.

As a note they are seriously obfunctifying the url in that.

They are also using javascript based click URL to prevent copying of the click URL (SERIOUSLY bad behavior, I think you should tell the ad provider that they should either stop it or you drop them in favor of a different ad provider.)

The destination URL is
    http://cloudtransformation.cio.com/futurecast-cloud/

I can't get the intermediary URL because it's obscrued in the source, and because it is using javascript to run the link instead of proper HTML linking.
    Thanks for reporting it, trying to track it down to get it blocked, hopefully will get some progress made it on by tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Ruediix
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post

What country are you connecting from? Do you know the click URL of the ad so I can get it blocked? Thanks.
    United states, I copied the whole HTML of the ad here:
    https://pastebin.com/yHsBd2sx

Sorry about misspelling Phoronix on the title.

As a note they are seriously obfunctifying the url in that.

They are also using javascript based click URL to prevent copying of the click URL (SERIOUSLY bad behavior, I think you should tell the ad provider that they should either stop it or you drop them in favor of a different ad provider.)

The destination URL is
    http://cloudtransformation.cio.com/futurecast-cloud/

I can't get the intermediary URL because it's obscrued in the source, and because it is using javascript to run the link instead of proper HTML linking.
    Last edited by Ruediix; 23 July 2017, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Originally posted by Ruediix View Post
    There is an ad recently from Microsoft Cloud that is popping up a video covering the page with auto-load on mouseover.

It is very annoying.
    What country are you connecting from? Do you know the click URL of the ad so I can get it blocked? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X