Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by user98273498723 View Post
    Hi! I just reviewed my noscript settings, which is blocking stuff on phoronix. Back over summer I asked if you could grant me the premium feature (after I made a matching donation), and you seemed to do that. But it is clear by the voluminous amount of script sources being blocked, that it is no longer in place. Did I somehow lose my premium subscription? Or do I need to take some other action than being logged into the forums?
    Did you set "remember me" when logging in?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Hi,
      I have disabled adblock plus for this site, but still get no ads.
      I also use noscript, but white-listed phoronix.com,
      as wel as googletagservices.com, googleadservices.com, ajax.googleapis.com, googlesyndication.com, amazon-adsystem.com.
      Since I want to avoid white-listing many ad sites unconditionally,
      Is there a list of (limited numbers of) sites where javascript should be enabled in order to get ads?
      thanks in advance.

Comment

• Here's an interesting thought: Suppose Michael were to produce an open-source app that would use your existing GPU install and drivers to mine bitcoin and dump it into a Phoronix bitcoin wallet while benchmarking the whole process? The resulting benchmarks could be used to compare OpenCL performance of various setups on a new Forums section. Users would have the option of running this while logged-in to buy premium accounts if it made enough money to do so, or if not a revenue sharing option could be added for users who have bitcoin wallets.

I know GPU mining isn't what is used to be due to ASIC mining setups, but while someone is reading this site their GPU is sitting there doing almost nothing. Lots of us don't have bitcoin wallets, accounts set up for mining, etc. This sort of application could set up everything to a single Phoronix account on a click and play basis.
        Download the ready to use installable file Deb, RPM, etc your distro or from Phoronix itself, or compile from source if you have a reason such as code verification/audit to do so. With the application being the usual open source Linux product, it would be possible to audit and verify the whole works so users could trust that they were sharing newly mined bitcoin and not their personal information.

Those who have a bitcoin wallet and are going for revenue sharing would simply select a menu option to do so and enter the needed information. It would also be possible to run the whole thing anonymously without revenue sharing when this is a requirement, Bitcoin is widely used for exactly that sort of transactions. Also, bitcoin mining loads the GPU, ads load the CPU and the network instead, competing with the browser. I'll take a high GPU load when using the site any day over a high CPU load, the load level perhaps being user throttleable for fan and heat control reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by tskd View Post
          Hi,
          I have disabled adblock plus for this site, but still get no ads.
          I also use noscript, but white-listed phoronix.com,
          as wel as googletagservices.com, googleadservices.com, ajax.googleapis.com, googlesyndication.com, amazon-adsystem.com.
          Since I want to avoid white-listing many ad sites unconditionally,
          Is there a list of (limited numbers of) sites where javascript should be enabled in order to get ads?
          thanks in advance.
          Plus one here on Firefox.

Unfortunately I am unemployed by the time so premium is not an option right now. I would like to enable ads at least but also for me: site white-listed with adblock (uBlock) and noscript but still no ads visible. Even when I disable the plugins completely no ads are showing.

Sys is arch, XFCE, Firefox (all latest on the main/release branches).

Comment

• Originally posted by theringoffire View Post
            Plus one here on Firefox.[...] no ads are showing.
            Are you browsing in Firefox' private mode?
            They introduced their own kinda ad-blocking there.

Originally posted by Luke View Post
            Here's an interesting thought: Suppose Michael were to produce an open-source app that would use your existing GPU install and drivers to mine bitcoin and dump it into a Phoronix bitcoin wallet while benchmarking the whole process? [...]
            Forget BTC mining with GPUs. Those days are over.
            However, there are still profitable altcoins to mine. Ethereum is maybe still the most profitable, even after the hardfork-debacle. And setting up ethminer to mine into some wallet on OpenCL is like the easiest thing to do.
            Michael would need to set a wallet up, share the address and there we go.
            Last edited by juno; 02 August 2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by juno View Post

Are you browsing in Firefox' private mode?
              They introduced their own kinda ad-blocking there.
              No, I am not using private mode, but you hinted me in the right direction. I had privacy.trackingprotection.enabled set to true for performance reasons. Without this the ads are OK. I will give it a try if I can live with this setting.

Comment

• This shameless Dell advertising made me turn on my ad blocker. I clicked the pause button (seen in the first image) to stop the video, but instead of stopping, it covered the page and it started in full size. As much as I understand the need for advertising as an income, I tend to trust sites like phoronix way more than others, so I didn't expect this kind of bullshit. Not that any site is infallible to weird ads but this truly sucks. I felt like an idiot, clicking a "You're the 1,000,000th visitor! Claim your prize now!" ad.

// weird error message after I uploaded 2 images with the "Upload Attachment" button
                Edit Conversation
                You are not authorized to create or remove attachments.
                Images (linked externally):

Comment

• kneekoo do you happen to have a link of the ad itself? That's the easiest way to be able to figure out what ad network is providing it and to delete it.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Thanks for your reply. It's this one:
                    Code:
                    script
                    src="http://r.flite.com/syndication/uscript.js?i=553a321a-6e9c-4b22-bac7-12727b91270b&v=3&x=us0&cb=0.2584255307051042&d=http://www.phoronix.com&tz=-60"
                    /script
                    ID: 553a321a-6e9c-4b22-bac7-12727b91270b

Comment

• That ad is still there, so the ad blocker will stay up.

Comment

Working...
                      X