Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why is a connection to Google shown?

    Originally posted by tarceri View Post
    The ad seems to be an ordinary banner ad for a movie, but why the connection to google.com? Is that simply because of Google Adsense, or is there another connection to Google as well?
    There are a lot of people, myself included, who are exceptionally careful not to build up a Google history, do not use Google for search, and do not have any Google accounts. I don't see what the issue is with the ad itself, since the ad agencies for all their "relevance" tracking of users don't seem to be known for making the ads they send relevant to the PAGES they appear on. Sending say, a car ad to a computer site and then a computer ad to a car site, both from the same ad agency, would seem to be a waste and surely happens. That of course is beyond the control of sites that are customers of ad agencies.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Luke View Post
      I don't see what the issue is with the ad itself, since the ad agencies for all their "relevance" tracking of users don't seem to be known for making the ads they send relevant to the PAGES they appear on. Sending say, a car ad to a computer site and then a computer ad to a car site, both from the same ad agency, would seem to be a waste and surely happens. That of course is beyond the control of sites that are customers of ad agencies.
      The issue is the size of the ad it's ridiculous. Things like this is why people turn on adblock.

      Comment


      • I had to turn on adblock yesterday

        I had to turn on adblock yesterday, because just _moving_ the mouse over parts of an ad, started a huge music video ad, covering half the site. I haven't minded ads on this site before, some have even been relevant. But this is taking it too far.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by tjukken View Post
          I had to turn on adblock yesterday, because just _moving_ the mouse over parts of an ad, started a huge music video ad, covering half the site. I haven't minded ads on this site before, some have even been relevant. But this is taking it too far.
          Ads like that aren't intended... When people report them to me with the URL, they're blocked. Unfortunately there's too many possible ads to see them all, so I'm only able to block them after the fact when being reported of ads that are overly obtrusive, etc.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • Hosts file block

            Well, I have a genuine question here. I use a hosts file to block ads, since it keeps my system's load relatively free. This however also means that I cannot "whitelist" a site with the click of a button unlike noscript/ghostery/ABE. Does anyone know of a solution to this?

            Comment


            • Hello Michael,

              I usually turn off my adblock for phoronix but i just stumbled in one ad that pops in front and in the middle of the page, blocking the text. There wasn't even a case to click to fold the thing. I didn't take a screen capture, my bad. So my adblock is on for today.

              Regards

              Comment


              • tss, one cannot edit. Bar the word "case" and replace it for "box". Stupid mistranslation of mine.

                xtachx, you do not use adblock because you think it uses too much resources ? It works well for me. I can whitelist sites one per one.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by D?dale View Post
                  Hello Michael,

                  I usually turn off my adblock for phoronix but i just stumbled in one ad that pops in front and in the middle of the page, blocking the text. There wasn't even a case to click to fold the thing. I didn't take a screen capture, my bad. So my adblock is on for today.

                  Regards
                  Well without knowing the ad or the URL, there's nothing I can do about it...
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    Well without knowing the ad or the URL, there's nothing I can do about it...
                    Got it ! http://www.splunk.com/justask?ac=use...sersec#analyst

                    Comment


                    • An uh, sorry for double posting but my posts appear to need a moderator approval to show up. This is new.

                      EDIT: get it ! It's because there is an URL in the precedent post.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X