Phoronix Redesign is live!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    I do think that most of these narrow article complaints is from the mere fact they really tried to jam a lot of sections in that one poor home page. I think it'll improve dramatically as soon as they can clean up the front page.
    By this afternoon the front page should be revised.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

can these layouts be made out of CSS or somethin so that i can choose which one to use?

i barely got my self familiar with the last one, but the new one is terrible, too many columns

10x

Comment

Originally posted by user5124 View Post
        Really
        don't
        the
        new
        design.

Makes
        Phoronix
        Look
        A
        Google
        Ad.

Totally
        ugly
        on
        a
        widescreen.

Will
        probably
        stop
        browsing
        the
        front
        page -
        again.
        Point taken, keep in mind we are working on this.

Comment

New front page is live. We removed the right sidebar for home pages. The information seemed redundant anyhow. We hope this is an improvement. We may work on a widescreen version very soon.

Comment

Oh yes! It's *perfect* now, IMO. Job well done!

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
              Oh yes! It's *perfect* now, IMO. Job well done!
              that always makes us feel good =)

Comment

Much more improved, David. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Using the old_home link I mentioned allows that as well as subscribing to the RSS feed.

The old_home link looks exactly the same as the new page and it still has more detail on the articles than the news headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                    New front page is live. We removed the right sidebar for home pages. The information seemed redundant anyhow. We hope this is an improvement. We may work on a widescreen version very soon.
                    Didn't mean to sound harsh about the old interface :-)

It would be great to see a version that uses all the available screenspace for widescreen.

Comment

Okay, my general impression after the latest set of changes:
                      When reading a news or articles:
                      It is really good. The main text in the middle, normal top/left bar and the latest news/articles on the right. That is really good, *but*...

When reading the "frontpage" (the one you reach when typing http://www.phoronix.com into the browser) I would prefer to have the same "article bar" on the right that you see when watching the articles. And seeing the normal news and articles mixed in the middle. I come to the page rather often to have a look for new news, not for new articles (cf the number of new news and the number of new articles). So in this matter I would prefer the old way with showing the whole news/article (if it is not too long) and adding a "read more..." link when that news/article gets longer than one paragraph. This way it is a whole lot easier to realize that there are new *news* and articles, not only new articles.

Comment

Working...
                      X